Adult Social Care Services in Wirral

Adult Social Care Services in Wirral

The Department of Adult Social Services, in partnership with other agencies assess need and provide support to the people of Wirral, 24 hours a day, every day of the year. It aims to support people to enjoy the highest quality of life for as long as possible by providing access to a range of support services which will enable people to live safely and independently in either their own homes, or alternative accommodation if appropriate.

One in ten people in the UK care for friends or family members and so support is also offered to people in caring roles.

How to contact the Department of Adult Social Services

Central Advice and Duty Team (CADT)
The Central Advice and Duty Team (CADT) provides a single contact point to the Department of Adult Social Services and they aim to answer any questions about how to get support from them. If you phone, write to, fax or email CADT, they will give you the advice and information you need to find out what support could be available to you.

PO Box 32, Birkenhead CH41 5WE
Tel: 0151 606 2006
Minicom: 0151 606 2573
Fax: 0151 606 2600
CADT is open Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm.

Emergency Duty Team (EDT)
The Emergency Duty Team (EDT) deals with enquiries about help from the Department of Adult Social Services that cannot wait until the next working day. The service is available outside normal office hours, including Monday to Friday, from 5pm to 9am, and twenty four hours a day at weekends and bank holidays (including Christmas, New Year’s Day and Easter).

Social Work Dept C Block, Arrowe Park Hospital, Arrowe Park Road, Upton, Wirral CH49 5PE
Tel: 0151 677 6557
Fax: 0151 677 5372
If the situation is extremely urgent, you can phone the police on 0151 709 6010 or 999 in an emergency.

What happens when you contact the Department of Adult Social Services?
CADT will gather some basic information about you and pass this onto the relevant team who will then contact you to discuss your circumstances and any difficulties you may be having. Other people may contact Adult Social Services on your behalf, such as:

  • a relative, friend or neighbour
  • a health professional such as a doctor or health visitor
  • any other agency

To be eligible for an assessment, your lifestyle has to be affected by one or more of the following:

  • sight or hearing difficulties
  • mental health problems
  • frailty because of old age
  • learning disabilities
  • permanent, substantial physical disabilities
  • problems related to the misuse of drugs and alcohol
  • long term conditions or illnesses which affect your ability to carry out the tasks of daily living

If you care for someone who is affected by one or more of the above then you are also entitled to have an assessment of your needs as a carer.

If you do not need the services of the Department, the team will offer information and advice about other ways of receiving help.

Eligibility for support from Adult Social Services
Whilst the Department of Adult Social Services can give advice over the phone or provide verbal or written information, they can only provide or arrange care for people who meet their eligibility criteria. These guidelines, called ‘Fair Access to Care Services’ (FACS), ensure that everyone is treated fairly and that money is always used in the most effective way.

There are different levels of need, from ‘critical’ to ‘low’:

  • ‘critical’
  • ‘substantial’
  • ‘moderate’
  • ‘low’

The Department of Adult Social Services can only offer support to people with ‘critical’ or ‘substantial’ needs. Whether you are in one of these categories will be determined by looking at your circumstances, the things you are having difficulty with and the level of risk to your safety if you don’t get support. This is done by undertaking an assessment.

Support if you have a disability
If you have a permanent and substantial disability (including sight or hearing difficulties, or both) then the Department will also see if you qualify for any support under the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970. This might include, for example, practical support at home or adaptations to your home.

Financial support
Part of the assessment process includes an assessment of your financial circumstances. This will determine what contribution, if any, that you are required to make towards the costs of the support you need.