Care homes

All care providers in the country must be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). All services are inspected by the CQC, who report on their findings. These inspection reports are available from the care service or the CQC (visit: Further information about the CQC can be found on page 46.

Types of care homes

There are two types of care home:

Care homes offering personal care only
If you are reasonably active, but would like greater security and care, subject to a needs assessment, a care home offering only personal care may be the best option. Personal care includes bathing, feeding, dressing and help with moving and must be paid for in full if your capital/savings exceed £23,250. If you have less than this amount, Adult Social Care may be able to assist with funding if they agree living in a care home is the best way of meeting your needs.

Care homes with nursing
If you think you may need nursing care in a home, you will need to be visited by a social worker or a care manager to work out what care you will need. This visit might be in your own home, or in hospital if you’ve been ill, or in a care home. You will be fully involved in planning your care needs.

If a care home providing nursing care is the best solution for you, the social worker will give you information to help you find a home which meets your care requirements. The cost of the nursing care part of your fees is paid by the NHS to the home directly: the current amount is £109.79 per week. You can contact the Nurse Care Management Teams for your area at your local Clinical Commissioning Group listed on page 51.

The figures mentioned here may change after April 2014, check with Adult Social Care after this date. See page 42 for more information on paying for your care.

Out of area care options

Did you know you can choose a care home outside the area you currently live in? You may want to be closer to friends, family members or you may want to relocate to another part of the country.

If your care home place is state-funded, your local authority is still responsible for your care fees, even if you choose a care home in another area.

The home you choose must be suitable for your assessed needs and comply with the terms and conditions set by the authority. The fees that your local authority will pay may vary. They may offer you the fees you would receive if you remained where you are, or they may offer you the fees that the local authority would pay in your chosen area. You must seek further advice before making your decision.

If you’re self-funded, obviously you have freedom of choice, however it is important that you have considered the fees the home charges and whether the home will accept the local authority rates if or when your savings fall below the capital limit. If the home is unable to meet the local authority rate the possibility of moving to an alternative home increases substantially.