Care homes

What are care homes?

There are two types of residential home:

Care homes (personal care only)

If you are reasonably active, but would like greater security and care, a care home offering personal care may be the best option. If accessing a care home through the local authority, you will need to have a care needs assessment. Personal care includes bathing, feeding, dressing and help with moving but it must be paid for if your capital including savings exceeds £23,250. This figure may change after April 2016, check with Adult Social Care after this date.

Care homes with nursing

If you think you may need nursing care in a home, and are in contact with the local authority, you will need to be visited by a social worker or a care manager to work out what care you will need. This visit might be in your own home, in hospital if you’ve been ill, or in a care home. You will be fully involved in planning your care needs.

If a care home providing nursing care is the best solution for you, your social worker will give you information to help you find a home which meets your care requirements. You can contact a nursing home directly but it is important that your needs are properly assessed to make sure you’re in the best setting for you.

The nursing care part of your fees is paid by the NHS to the home directly this is called the registered nursing care contribution (RNCC) or funded nursing care (FNC) contribution.

For further information on care homes and nursing homes, and how to find one to meet your needs, call this Directory’s independent helpline: 0800 389 2077. 

Activities in care homes

The word ‘activity’ can imply many different things but in the context of a care home it should mean everything you do from when you wake up in the morning until you go to sleep at night. This could be simple tasks like choosing what colour cardigan to wear, watching your favourite TV programmes or listening to the birds sing. Attending an exercise class, pottering in the garden or helping with home activities like the laundry might suit you. Above all, activities can provide a point of interest, fun and challenge to each day.

Lots of care homes now employ a dedicated Activity Co-ordinator. What they do and how they do it varies from one home to another. In the best homes Activity Coordinators are fully integrated
into the staff team, play a key part in developing care plans and ensure that all staff appreciate the part they play in delivering high-quality activity provision.

Out-of-county care homes

If you want to be closer to your friends or family members, or would just prefer to relocate to another part of the country, you are able to choose a care home outside your home county.

If your care home place is funded by Adult Social Care, your home county local authority should be responsible for your care fees, even if you choose a care home in another region. The home you choose must be suitable for your assessed needs and comply with the terms and conditions set by the authority. The fees that your local authority may pay could vary.

You should seek further advice before making your decision and speak with your local authority about this. If you are paying for your own care and support, you can choose any care home that can meet your needs and accommodate you.