National Minimum Standards outline requirements that homes must meet in relation to staff dealing positively with the death of a resident with dignity and respect.
Important questions to consider when assessing homes on this matter would include:
- Are ‘Living Wills’ implemented and followed?
- How are the religious, social and spiritual needs of residents met?
- Can relatives stay at the home during the final stages?
- What staff training is in place?
- How are families involved with any advanced care planning?