More information about sheltered housing and other housing options for older people can be obtained from the Elderly Accommodation Counsel.
For more information about this type of housing available in East Sussex, contact your local District or Borough Council. See www.eastsussex.gov.uk for contact details.
Brighton & Hove
Brighton & Hove City Council has a number of sheltered schemes in the city. For more information contact the Homemove team.
Tel: 01273 294400
Shared Lives Scheme
If you live, or want to live, in East Sussex and are interested in being considered for a Shared Lives arrangement or Supported Accommodation contact Health and Social Care Connect on 0345 60 80 191.
Residential care homes
Steps to consider
If you are considering a move into a care home:
- make your own checklist before visiting possible care homes. Ensure that your visit is not rushed and take time to talk to the residents;
- look into what State Benefits you can claim, even if you have savings;
- seek advice from your solicitor before making any final decisions;
- speak to an independent financial adviser about your financial situation and the costs of care;
- find out about the costs of each type of care. Request brochures from possible care providers, with terms and conditions; and
- ensure that you fully understand the rights and responsibilities of any formal contract with a care provider. East Sussex Adult Social Care produces a factsheet ‘The cost of your social care support’ which may help. Brighton & Hove Adult Social Care produces two factsheets: ‘Charges for Residential & Nursing Home Care 2015-2016’ and ‘Charges for Residential & Nursing Home Care for Homeowners 2015-2016’ which are downloadable from www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/paying-for-care
For information about organisations who can help with finding a care home, including the free helpline or see East Sussex’s factsheet ‘Arranging and funding life in a care home’.
Care homes and care homes with nursing
Contact East Sussex Health and Social Care Connect or the Brighton & Hove Adult Social Care Access Point for more advice.
East Sussex Health and Social Care Connect
Tel: 0345 60 80 191
Brighton & Hove Adult Social Care Access Point
Tel: 01273 295555