Specialist care

The Government has indicated that services for people with disabilities should promote the following key principles:

• respect people’s rights;
• actively promote people’s independence;
• ensure that people have and are able to make choices in all areas of their lives; and
• create opportunities for people to be included rather than separated from society.

Part or all of the following specialist services can be paid for with a Personal Budget if you are eligible for one. See page 7 for further details.

Sensory loss – getting help

During our lifetime people can experience various degrees of sensory loss: hearing, eyesight, smell or taste. The two most common sensory deprivations are loss of sight and hearing. Some people have coped with a sight or hearing loss from a very early age, for others it can be a slow decrease of the senses due to illness, an accident or ageing.

Whatever the reason it can be difficult to adjust to the changes. Anyone with a sensory loss can feel disconnected to the world, isolated and struggle with communication. This can lead to a loss of independence which then affects their confidence especially as the senses decrease.

Levels of sensory loss vary from person to person and will range from mild, to profound. Identifying individual needs is crucial in ensuring that this very specific impairment is recognised.

An assessment will be carried out from a Sensory Services worker or from a specialist agency or charity. The assessment can identify a wide range of needs and say what services are available to help.

Northamptonshire Association for the Blind (NAB)
NAB is the county’s largest provider of services to visually impaired people in Northamptonshire, yet they remain a wholly independent charity, providing free and confidential support for blind and partially sighted people, their carers or loved ones, on all aspects of their lives.

37 Harborough Road, Northampton NN2 7BB
Helpline: 01604 719193
Monday-Friday, 9.00am-5.00pm Fax: 01604 716048
Email: helpline@nab.org.uk Web: www.nab.org.uk

Previously known as the Northants and Rutland Mission to the Deaf, Deafconnect is a charity that aims to empower all people with a hearing loss to achieve their full potential and become fully included members of the community. Deafconnect has been providing services for deaf, deafened, hard of hearing and deafblind people for over 130 years.

Spencer Dallington Community Centre
Tintern Avenue, Northampton NN5 7BZ
Tel: 01604 589011

Learning disability
Adult Social Care run or pay other people to run lots of different services for people with learning disabilities and their families. Any services or support you may be eligible for will depend on the outcome of your community care assessment, described on page 8.

Services could include:
• assessment and care management services, described on page 8;
• help to live at home – this is called personal care and support or supported living;
• day services – this includes day centres and help to find jobs;
• short breaks services, which are sometimes called respite care;
• adult placements;
• residential care homes;
• advocacy, information and advice; and
• transport.

There are currently 15 day service bases across the county which provide support to adults with a learning disability and breaks for their carers.

This includes support to help adults with a learning disability to be included in their local community and to make choices about the opportunities they wish to experience.

This may be support to find a work placement, paid employment, a volunteering opportunity, to access leisure activities or to learn new things at college or through Adult Learning courses.

Short breaks services
Sometimes called respite care, these services offer short breaks and support staff are there to help you 24 hours a day. They help you to be as independent as possible and to provide quality care and support when it is required.

Shared Lives
A Shared Lives placement can be somewhere to live, to stay for a short break, to go for day time support, or support to live in your own home. You will be supported by someone called a Shared Lives carer who will share their home with you and include you as part of their family.

Supported living
The Council support people with a learning disability to live independently within their community, either on an individual basis in self-contained flats or in shared accommodation.

Residential care homes
The Council provide a residential respite and short break service for adults with a learning disability aged 18-65 years. Accommodation can be provided for six weeks to six months depending on the needs of the individual and support and assistance is provided to develop self-help skills and to plan for future needs.

For further information, please contact the Customer Service Centre:
John Dryden House,
Northampton NN4 7YD
Tel: 0300 126 1000
Email: acss@northamptonshire.gov.uk

Physical disability
If you aged 18 to 65 years and have a physical disability, Adult Social Care and other organisations can provide a range of services, support and advice to help you live as independently as possible in your own home and get involved in your community. These range  from resource centres, equipment to help adapt your home, telecare, to day centres.

Brain Injury
Brain Injury (BI) is an injury to the brain caused by a trauma to the head (head injury) or as a result of a physical illness. There are many possible causes, including road traffic accidents, assaults, falls and accidents at home or at work as well as brain haemorrhage and cardiac arrest (causing lack of oxygen to the brain). Brain injury can affect children or adults.

The effects of a brain injury can be wide ranging, and depend on a number of factors such as the type, location and severity of injury. Many brain injuries are minor causing temporary symptoms such as concussion however, sometimes the injury is more serious and causes longer lasting symptoms.

Sometimes the individual has cognitive problems such as headache, difficulty thinking, memory problems, attention deficits, mood swings and frustration. These injuries can be overlooked. Even though this type of BI is called ‘mild’, the effect on the family and the injured person can be devastating.

A more severe brain injury may result in the person losing consciousness for more than 30 minutes and memory loss after the injury of longer than 24 hours. A person may be affected physically with loss of movement in limbs, loss of speech and ability to swallow.

A number of different types of specialist service cater for people with a brain injury and rehabilitation can be effective to help the person and their family to work towards recovery from the brain injury and some people live at home with a package of care or in a residential

Centres for Independent Living
Supporting disabled people and carers across Northamptonshire

The Northamptonshire Centre for Independent Living provides support for disabled and older
people across Northamptonshire and provides a range of services to help people to remain independent in their own communities. It is run by a userled organisation.

The centre holds vast information relating to everything disabled people, their families and carers may need to know. Its Information Libraries contain information in a range of accessible formats with trained staff to help with issues such as assistive technology, benefits, Direct Payments, training and disability rights.

It has equipment areas that will let you try some of the things you might need to use like wheelchairs, walking frames, stair lifts, cutlery and things you might use in the kitchen or the bathroom. This will help you decide what to buy.

Support available includes:
• Wheelchair Hire Scheme and equipment sales;
• disability rights information;
• disability information and advice;
• display areas including disability-related equipment and daily living aids;
• Welfare Benefits support;
• independent support for Direct Payments, PA recruitment and payroll; and
• carers’ information.

It is open Monday to Friday 9.00am until 5.00pm. You are welcome to drop in between these times, however to be sure of not having to wait please make an appointment by contacting the centre using the main telephone number or emailing: equip.info@northamptonshirecil.org.uk.

The centre also takes its services out into the community, if you would like to find out more about the outreach services then please visit the website or telephone the main number below.

Gladstone Road Resource Centre
Gladstone Road, Northampton NN5 7EJ
Tel: 01604 588501 Fax: 01604 591276
Text: 07751 359396
Web: www.northamptonshirecil.org.uk

Or you can contact us and make an appointment that suits you.

Help to live at home
The Olympus Care Services Community Support and Accommodation Team provide support, specifically for younger adults (18-65 years) who have a physical disability to help you live independently within your own homes.

Pine Lodge Reablement Centre is run by Olympus Care Services. Pine Lodge is a centre for younger adults to enhance their skills for independence. It has 6 self-contained suites and the support is delivered within a non-residential setting with registered domiciliary support. If necessary, therapy services are available.

The service is designed to either support someone moving out of residential care or for someone undergoing the reablement service to remain in their own home, or if necessary, to access suitable housing to do so. The length of stay at the Centre can be for a period of up to six months but the average time is around twelve weeks. Where the person does not have any family or friends to respond to, a telecare alarm system, the service based within the unit can respond to that need, please contact the unit for more details.

All services are charged for and a financial assessment by Northamptonshire County Council is required. Access to the six suites is via referrals from Northamptonshire County Council and must satisfy our FACS eligibility criteria, explained on page 6.

Pine Lodge Reablement Centre
Motala Close, Corby, Northants NN18 9EJ
Tel: 01536 742043

Mental health

If you are worried about your mental health, the usual starting point for advice is your GP who should be able to identify the appropriate level of response. They may suggest some form of self-help using local resources with or without some medication. GPs also have access to a wide range of counselling and advice programmes that they may refer you to.

If your concerns appear more serious they may refer you to a specialist mental health service.

Northamptonshire County Council works in partnership with both Primary Care and more specialist mental health services provided by the NHS to ensure that both health and social care needs are responded to.

The Council does this by providing:

Short Term Interventions
This service provides outcomes focused social care support of up to six weeks for individuals whose mental health needs are affected by their social circumstances. The Council supports individuals to access a range of community-based help and advice, including housing,
benefits advice and activities to promote their community involvement.

To make a referral telephone:
North of the County (Corby, Kettering, East Northants and Wellingborough Council areas): 01536 416108
South of the County (Northampton, Daventry and South Northants Council areas): 01604 753887

If a plan for how you deal with your social care difficulties cannot be achieved in six weeks, a further ‘intermediate’ period of targeted support may be available for up to six months. This is provided by an intermediate support service which works closely with the short-term team. They will do their best to help you resolve your mental health social needs within six months. Where this is not possible a fuller community assessment will be made to determine any longer term eligible social needs that can be met by a social support plan. This will be developed in conjunction with you, others already supporting you informally, and any involved professionals.

Your social support plan can be arranged through a Personal Budget managed by yourself, an informal carer or through Centres of Independent Living. Depending on your particular circumstances you may have to pay a personal contribution towards the costs of your personal support plan. Your contribution will be worked out following a financial assessment.

Approved Mental Health Professionals (AMHPs)
Whilst the Council works closely with customers to promote independence and enable them to continue living in the community, there are occasions where a person’s mental health deteriorates to a point where they need hospital admission. When this happens, sometimes due to the nature of their illness, people do not always recognise their need to be in hospital; and where there are significant risks to their own health, their own safety or the protection of others, the Council may need to consider using the Mental Health Act to enforce admission and treatment.

The Council takes their legal responsibilities seriously and try and make sure people experiencing a mental health crisis get professional assessment, care and treatment quickly.

The Council provides a round-the-clock Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP) service in the county. The staff are specially trained and authorised to carry out Mental Health Act assessments on the County Council’s behalf for people in crisis. This service is not determined by age or specialism.

AMHPs work closely with medical practitioners and partner agencies to find the best solutions for customers and carers. Sometimes this may require an admission to a mental health hospital for further assessment and care.

In all cases AMHPs seek to find solutions that work to the least restrictive option, seeking to support people within their own homes wherever possible and only using the powers of the Mental Health Act when all other options have been eliminated.

Referrals to this service will usually be made by professionals working with users of the service but they will give consideration to referrals from family members or carers who have serious concerns about the health and wellbeing of people experiencing a mental health crisis.

In Northamptonshire, all AMHPs have a professional background in social work but they may also be qualified nurses, occupational therapists or psychologists who have undertaken specialist Mental Health Act training.

Tel: 0300 1261017
9.00am–9.00pm, Monday to Friday or
Tel: 01604 626938 (24 hours at weekends)
9.00pm–9.00am, Monday to Friday