Useful national contacts

Action on Elder Abuse (AEA)
Works to protect, and prevent the abuse of, vulnerable older adults.
Helpline: 0808 808 8141

Age UK
National helpline: 0800 169 6565

Association of Charitable Organisations
A national umbrella body for trusts and foundations that give grants and welfare support to individuals in need.
Tel: 0207 255 4480 • Web:

British Institute of Learning Difficulties (BILD)
Committed to improving the quality of life for people with a learning disability.
Tel: 0121 415 6960 • Web:

Care Choices’ helpline
Free, independent information and help.
Searchable website.
Tel: 0800 389 2077

Care Quality Commission
Independent regulator of care services in England.
CQC National Customer Service Centre
Citygate, Gallowgate,
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4PA
Tel: 03000 616161 • Web:

Carers Trust
Works to improve support, services and recognition for anyone living with the challenges of caring, unpaid, for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or
addiction problems.
32-36 Loman Street, London SE1 0EH
Tel: 0844 800 4361 • Fax: 0844 800 4362

Carers UK
The voice of carers.
Advice line: 0808 808 7777

Elderly Accommodation Counsel
Help older people make informed choices aboutmeeting their housing and care needs.
Free advice line: 0800 377 7070

FirstStop Advice
Advice and information on all aspects of care, accommodation, housing, finance and rights for
older people.

Friends of the Elderly
A charity that supports older people who have a range of practical needs.
Tel: 0207 730 8263 • Web:

Produce a wide range of guides and factsheets aimed at older people, their families and carers.
Advice line: 0845 262 1863

National Association for Providers of Activities for Older People (NAPA)
Promotes the importance of activities for older persons.
Tel: 0207 078 9375

Pension Service, The
Provides information about pensions and other pensioner benefits.

Registered Nursing Home Association (RNHA)
Campaigns for high standards in nursing home care.
Tel: 0121 451 1088 • Web:

Relatives and Residents Association, The
Exists for older people needing, or living in, residential care and the families and friends left behind.
Advice line: 0207 359 8136

United Kingdom Home Care Association (UKHCA)
Professional association of home care providers from the independent, voluntary, not-for-profit
and statutory sectors.
Helpline: 0208 861 8188