Care homes

If your care needs are too great to be met in your own home, you may need to consider the alternative of moving into a care home. There are two types of care home: a residential care home and a nursing home. If you think you may need to move into a care home, we recommend contacting Adult Social Care to discuss your options. Even if you will be able to pay for a care home place yourself, you may find it helpful to discuss what other kinds of support might be available.

All care home providers must be registered with the Care Quality Commission. Homes are categorised by the type of care they provide and are listed in this Directory. All homes are regularly inspected by the CQC, who report on their findings. These inspection reports are available at the home or from the CQC website

Both residential care and nursing homes provide personal care, including help with bathing, feeding, dressing and moving around. If your assessment says that you need to live in a care home, a care manager from Adult Social Care can make arrangements for you.

People supported to live in a care home will usually have to pay at least part of the fees, unless they are eligible for support arranged as NHS Continuing Healthcare. Your care manager can advise you about whether you may be eligible for this. If not there will be a financial assessment to decide how much you can afford to pay, taking account of your income, your savings and the value of any property you own.

Residential care homes (personal care only)
Moving to a care home is a major change in a person’s life and needs very careful consideration.
If you feel you can no longer live in your own home but do not need active nursing care, a care home offering only personal care may be your best option.

Care homes with nursing
If you need nursing care, even if you are not entitled to NHS Continuing Health care to pay full fees, you are entitled to an NHS payment to cover the element of the fees of the care home which is specifically for nursing care. This applies whether or not a care manager has arranged your place in the home. If you are making private arrangements to move into a nursing home, you should ask to have your nursing needs assessed before going into the home, to make sure that you know whether you are eligible. The care home manager will be able to help you to arrange this.

If a care manager makes arrangements for you to live in a care home, whether residential or nursing, private, voluntary or County Council run, you have certain rights and choices.

On moving in, you should be given a personal plan, written by your care manager and agreed with the home. This will define which is your room and the basic service you can expect.

Should you have to leave the home, to go into hospital for example, your place in the home will be kept for you for at least six weeks and you will have to keep up payments. The home will liaise with your care manager throughout.

Once in, you have a right to leave at any time but you can also stay for as long as you wish, provided your behaviour doesn’t impact on the quality of life of other residents, and you observe house rules.

Should your needs change, you may need to move to a more suitable home – a care manager will help with this.