Assessing carers

A carer is a person who looks after someone else, usually a relative, friend or neighbour, who for reasons of poor health, disability, substance misuse or because of frailty are unable fully or partly to look after themselves.

Carers carry out a range of activities, which help the person they care for to maintain a quality of life, from personal care, bathing and dressing, practical and emotional support, to supporting someone with medication. Caring can affect your ability to have a life of your own for example to continue or gain employment, to have time to yourself or take a break.

You may need support to continue in your caring role or may wish to give up caring altogether. As a carer you are entitled to an assessment of your needs even if the person you care for does not want any involvement with Gloucestershire County Council.

To find out if you or the person you care for will be eligible for any services from Gloucestershire County Council, the council will arrange to assess your needs as a carer and the needs of the person you look after. Your needs can be assessed at the same time as those of the person you look after, or, if you prefer, you can have a completely separate carer’s assessment.

If you would like to know whether you or the person you care for is eligible for help you can complete a form on the council’s website. For this and more information on other organisations that provide support to carers and carers’ issues please visit: Alternatively, you can call the Adult Social Care Helpdesk on: 01452 426868 (8.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday).