Kirklees Council’s aim is to help you live independently in your home for as long as possible. To help you achieve this and to decide whether you are eligible for services they will ask you questions about your circumstances and the things you need to keep your independence – this is called a ‘person-led assessment’.

For example they will talk to you about your:

  • Health – including mental health, physical disability, sensory impairments, for example your eyesight and hearing and mobility, such as how far you can walk, can you manage the stairs to get to bed etc
  •  Personal care or activities of daily living home environment and where you live
  •  Social support and relationships including if you have someone who cares for you
  • Involvement in work, education and learning
  • Well-being, abuse or neglect.

If you have a carer they will also be offered an assessment of their needs.

The council usually need to take advice from health professionals. If you have other people involved in your care and support for example, your doctor, district nurse or occupational therapist, they will talk to them to get the fullest picture of your needs.

You can choose to complete the person-led assessment or the council can complete it with you.Together we work out how much support you need.

The person-led support plan will record your desired outcomes and support needs. Kirklees Council will give you a copy of your plan. Depending on the outcome of your assessment, you will be allocated a personal budget, so you can buy the services you need. Depending on your financial situation it is likely that you will need to make a contribution towards your personal budget we will let you know how much this is as part of your financial assessment or you could use our online mini financial assessment tool to get an idea of your contribution

You may not want to manage your personal budget or buy your own services. You may ask another person or the council to do this on your behalf. The most important thing is that you have the choice to choose the services you need that are identified in your person-led assessment.

People who come under section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1983 will continue to be exempt from making a contribution to their support costs. This means that they do not have to pay for any of their mental health services.

Your support plan
Once your completed questionnaire has been agreed and your care professional has told you the resources and money you have available to support you, you should make your support plan. You can have help to do this if you need it. Your support plan lists what help you need and what difference it will make to your life.