Who can help?

People finding it hard to manage on their own, and their families, need to know where they can go for advice and help on the many adult social care services available locally. This Directory is an important source of that information.

There are many appropriate services provided by different organisations, including councils, voluntary organisations, private care agencies and the NHS. In this Directory, which covers a large area, three councils are responsible for community care services:
• Dorset County Council (Adult and Community Services),
• Borough of Poole (Adult Social Care), and
• Bournemouth Borough Council (Adult Social Care).

Throughout the text, for ease of use, the services are described as coming from ‘Adult Social Care’.

Where do I start?

Adult Social Care (ASC) assesses need and provides information, advice and services to the people of Dorset, Poole and Bournemouth, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. ASC supports adults of working age and older people who have physical disabilities, learning disabilities, mental health issues, a sensory loss or general frailty. The aim is to actively promote independence and choice and help people to be self-reliant and live in their own homes for as long as possible. When this is no longer possible they help people to choose good quality supported housing or care homes.

If you need any form of advice about help to remain independent, or about your care options, you should phone your relevant Adult Social Care department to request an assessment. Contact details can be found below.

Anyone can ask for an assessment, regardless of their fi nancial situation. The assessment and advice is free. You may be asked to make a fi nancial contribution towards services arranged for you, which could be the full cost of the service for people who can afford to pay.

Help and advice

ASC will always provide support and advice, even if they cannot pay for the help you need. They will do their best to help get you back to living independently.

One in ten people in the UK care for friends or family members. ASC supports unpaid carers in various ways, for example by providing training, links to support groups and assisting carers to get a break from their caring responsibilities.

This Directory contains information about the services available to people in Dorset, Poole and Bournemouth. These include:

• the protection of vulnerable adults;
• assessment of needs;
• advice about social care, health, housing and money;
• short term help at home to recover your independence after an illness or a crisis;
• equipment to support independence;
• adaptations to the home environment;
• benefits advice;
• meals at home;
• social activity;
• support for carers and providing breaks;
• personal care at home;
• Personal Budgets; and
• care homes and care homes with nursing

Dorset County Council Adult Access Team
Tel: 01305 221016
Email: adultaccess@dorsetcc.gov.uk
Web: www.dorsetforyou.com/socialcare

Poole Adult Social Care Help Desk
Tel: 01202 633902
Email: sshelpdesk@poole.gov.uk
Web: www.poole.gov.uk/health-and-social-care/

Bournemouth Care Direct
Bournemouth Borough Council
Tel: 01202 454979
Email: caredirect@bournemouth.gov.uk
Web: www.bournemouth.gov.uk/adultsocialcare