Care homes

All care providers in the country must be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). All services are inspected by the CQC, who report on their findings. These inspection reports are available at the service or from the CQC (

There are two types of residential home:

Care homes (personal care only)

If you are reasonably active, but would like greater security and care, subject to a needs assessment, a care home offering only personal care may be the best option. Personal care includes bathing, feeding, dressing and help with moving but it must be paid for if your capital including savings exceeds £23,250. This figure may change over the lifetime of this Directory. See page 57 for more information on paying for your care in a care home.

Care homes with nursing

If you think you may need nursing care in a home, you will need to be visited by a social worker or a care manager to work out what care you will need. This visit might be in your own home, or in hospital if you’ve been ill, or in a care home. You will be fully involved in planning your
care needs.

If a care home providing nursing care is the best solution for you, your social worker will give you information to help you find a home which meets your care requirements.

The cost of the nursing care part of your fees is paid by the NHS to the home directly: the current amount is £109.79 per week for the lower rate and £151.10 per week for the higher rate. These figures may change over the lifetime of this Directory.

For further information on care homes and care homes with nursing, and how to find one to meet your needs, call this Directory’s independent helpline: 0800 389 2077.