Care in your own home

Care in your own home

If you are having difficulty with daily living tasks such as washing, dressing, using the toilet or taking medication you may just need to change the way you carry out that activity or use a piece of equipment to help you rather than asking someone to do it for you.

Keeping mobile and active is a great way of keeping your independence. Have a look at the Disabled Living Centres information about equipment which can help you. They also have a self assessment tool called AskSARA which can help identify equipment to help you at home.

If the above is not enough and you would prefer someone to do these tasks for you. These organisations can arrange for someone to talk to you about the type of help you may want. If you decide to use one of these organisations you will need to pay for any support that you have provided.

Alternatively you may want to contact Age UK Bromley on 020 8315 1878 which provides a single point of entry to joined-up, quality preventative services, activities and support that promote opportunities, independence and choice to older people. These include general information, advice and advocacy, as well as shopping services, hospital aftercare, and support finding reputable tradesmen and care workers.

For people who are unable to organise their own support due to infirmity, lacking capacity, having no one to support them or who have low income it may be more appropriate for them to contact Bromley Social Services Direct to see whether they are entitled to some help.