Charges for care homes

There are national regulations for the financial assessment of residents who require the support of the local authority to fund their care. You will be assessed on your income, savings and investments. Depending on your family circumstances, the value of your former home may be included in the assessment of your contribution towards the care home fees. If the council is helping you to pay for your care fees your Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance (care component) will be stopped after the first 28 days in the home. You will continue to receive Disability Living Allowance (mobility component) if you were getting it before you entered the care home.

If you have more than £23,250 in savings or other capital you will have to pay the full cost of your care home. Your care manager will give you an information pack which tells you more about this in a booklet called ‘Paying for your Care Home’. You can also get a copy from Bromley Social Services Direct on 020 8461 7777