Should I contact the council for help?

Sometimes all that you need to stay independent and healthy is some general help with things around the house such as cleaning, preparing meals, gardening etc.

As our local community and voluntary organisations are best placed to help you find this, it may not be necessary for you to ask the council for help. Also, simple pieces of equipment (such as hand rails, specialist kitchen equipment etc) can help you to stay independent again without the need to seek more formal care such as a home care assistant. There is more information about this on page 7 and at

However, if you feel that this level of support is no longer working for you (eg you are struggling with your personal care or ability to get out and about), you can ask for some professional help by calling the Adult Social Care Contact Centre on 0800 561 0015 (or ask someone to do this for you).