If you move to a care home where a third party payment is required, the person who will make the payment on your behalf must sign a contract with Gloucestershire County Council, before the contract with the home is signed.

In doing so they must confirm that they have the financial means to make the third party payments (including any future increases) for the whole time you will live at the care home. If they are unable to maintain the payments and there is nobody else able to meet this cost, you may have to move to a cheaper home within the local authority’s funding levels.

If you are already a resident in a care home, and no third party agreement was required at the time you became a resident, the home may seek to introduce a third party payment at a later date. Also, if a change to your arrangements is made at your request or with your agreement, for example you move to a superior room, then an additional third party payment can become due.

Before you sign any contract, the home should give you written details of all the charges it intends to make in its Statement of Purpose document. If there is anything that is not clear or which you do not understand, you should ask for advice.