Care homes

All care providers in the country must be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). All services are inspected by the CQC, who report on their findings. These inspection reports are available from the care service or the CQC (visit and see page 58). Listings of care homes and care homes with nursing begin on page 64.

There are two types of care home:

Care homes
If you are unable to manage at home with support and you would like greater security and care, a care home offering personal care (as opposed to a care home with nursing) may be the best option. Personal care includes bathing, feeding, dressing and help with moving about.

Care homes with nursing
If your care needs mean that you need 24 hour access to qualified nursing support, then a care home with nursing would be a more appropriate option.

If your capital/savings exceed £23,250 you will have to pay the full cost of your care. Otherwise, if you are seeking funding support from the Council, you will need to be visited by a care manager to establish whether you are eligible for funding support. This visit might be in your  own home, or in hospital if you’ve been ill, or in a care home. You will be fully involved in  planning your care needs.

If a care home providing nursing care is the best solution for you, the social worker will give you information to help you find a home which meets your care requirements. The cost of the  nursing care part of your fees is paid by the NHS to the home directly: the current amount is £109.79 per week.

You can contact the Nurse Care Management Teams for your area at your local Primary Care Trust (PCT), Northamptonshire PCT, Francis Crick House, 6 Summerhouse Road, Northampton NN3 6BF, telephone 01604 651100.

National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care
If you have significant health needs, you may be eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare funding towards the cost of your care.

In 2009, the Department of Health published the revised National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care. The guidance in the Framework is part of the Department of Health’s continuing care policy in England.

The aim was to provide fairer and more consistent access to NHS funding across England, so that people with equal needs have an equal chance of having their care needs met free of  charge. The Framework sets out the process for the NHS, working with the local authority to:

• assess health and social care needs;
• decide on eligibility for NHS Continuing Healthcare; and
• provide that care.

How are continuing care needs assessed?
For most people the first stage in the assessment process is to have their care needs screened against a standard checklist. This may be carried out by:

• a nurse or doctor before someone is discharged from hospital;
• a GP or a nurse in a person’s own home; and
• a social worker when carrying out a community care assessment.

Who organises NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHSFunded Nursing Care in Northamptonshire?
NHS Northamptonshire is responsible for assessing eligibility for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded Nursing Care and ensuring that the national eligibility criteria are used consistently. It will also identify, arrange and fund all the services required to meet your needs:

• if a person is assessed as being eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare; or
• for the healthcare part of a joint package of care.

NHS Northamptonshire can provide more information on the eligibility criteria and assessment process. If a person thinks that they have care needs that should be assessed or if someone you care for has needs that you think should be assessed, you should contact NHS  Northamptonshire and ask to speak to the co-ordinator for NHS Continuing Healthcare. Telephone 01604 651100 or write to NHS Northamptonshire, Francis Crick House, 6 Summerhouse Road, Moulton Park Industrial Estate, Northampton NN3 6BF.

When is responsibility for continuing care shared?
If a person is assessed as not being eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare, he or she may be eligible for a package of continuing health and social care. This means that the NHS and the  local authority may share responsibility for providing and possibly funding the care agreed in your care or support plan. Such arrangements are sometimes known as joint package of continuing care, even if you are funding your own care you may be eligible for this.

For further information and help, call this Directory’s independent helpline: 0800 389 2077.