Out-of-county care

Did you know you can choose a care home outside your home county? You may want to be closer to friends, family members or you may want to relocate to another part of the country.

If your care/support place is paid for by your local authority, your home county local authority is still responsible for assisting you with your care fees, even if you choose a care home in another region. The home you choose must be suitable for your assessed needs and comply with the terms and conditions set by the authority.

The fees that your local authority will pay may vary. They may offer you the fees you would receive if you remained within the county, or they may offer you the fees that the local authority would pay in your chosen region.

You must seek further advice before making your decision. If you’re self-funded, obviously you have freedom of choice and if you did choose to move to a care home in another county and then had to rely on local authority support it would be your new authority that would be responsible.