Out-of-county care

Even if you are asking a care manager to arrange your place, you can choose a care home outside Northumberland. You may want to be closer to friends, family members or you may want to relocate to another part of the country.

The home you choose must be suitable for your assessed needs and comply with Northumberland County Council’s contractual terms and conditions. The Council will usually be able to pay at most the level of fees that the local authority pays. If you choose a more expensive home, you may have to find funds to pay the difference in cost.

If your care manager is arranging your place, they will be able to get information about options in the area you want to move to. You can also get free information on care provision in other regions, by contacting Care Choices on freephone 0800 389 2077 with details of your requirements.