Equipment and Telecare

Equipment and Telecare

Adaptations and equipment
There are a wide range of equipment and adaptations available to assist you with daily living, and a number of organisations that can help you to choose what would best suit your needs.

Bromley Council has accredited a number of businesses within the local area to provide advice and to sell small items of equipment, such as kitchen, toileting and bathing equipment, and washing and dressing aids. The accreditation means that they have met the Department of Health standards for the assessment and provision of small aids to daily living; as part of the standard, they have received training from us.

You may be eligible for help from Bromley Council, but the demand for occupational therapist services is high and it might take some time for you to be seen. Initial contact should be made to Bromley Social Services Direct. If you are eligible (having a permanent, substantial physical disability) for a service, you will be offered an assessment. For short-term conditions and rehabilitation, NHS occupational therapists will provide equipment.

Telecare is a service that enables people to live independently in their own home and provides a basic community alarm service that is able to respond to an emergency and provides regular contact by telephone. The service can also provide an integrated system that includes detectors and monitors for movement, falls, fire and gas, which trigger a warning to a monitoring centre. Telecare provides users with improved levels of safety, security and independence.

You can be considered by asking for a social care assessment yourself, which includes a Telecare assessment, or this can be done on your behalf, by a concerned family member, friend or care professional such as your doctor.

If you are been assessed as eligible for services the equipment itself is free but there is a small weekly charge while it is in your home. This is a payment to Carelink for monitoring your Telecare service. There is no cost in getting the equipment fitted and removed from your home. To arrange for someone to meet with you to give you advice, information and to discuss Telecare please contact: Bromley Social Services Direct on tel: 020 8461 7777.

Individuals and family carers can also purchase telecare services themselves direct from providers without having to contact Bromley Council. Age UK Bromley, in conjunction with Help the Aged, offers a ‘just-in-case’ 24-hour personal alarm, which will put you through to an operator when you push it. For further information telephone 020 8315 1850, email: or visit the website:

Adaptations are works done to a property to support someone with a disability to continue to live there.

The Disabled Living Foundation is a national charity that provides independent advice on mobility aids, disability aids and daily living equipment, and it provides useful fact sheets and guides on major adaptations.

AskSara also helps you find useful advice and products that make daily life easier. The site will ask you questions about the kind of issues you are facing, and suggest solutions. Visit the website at:

The Disabled Facilities Grant is a means-tested grant that will pay for property adaptations to support independence; you will require an occupational therapy assessment in order to be considered for this grant, and you will need to contact Bromley Social Services Direct for an assessment.