Essential information in North Yorkshire

Disclosure and Barring Service

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS provides a joined-up, seamless service combining the criminal records checking and barring functions.)

The DBS can bar a person unsuitable to work with vulnerable people, including children, from working in regulated activity in the future. If a person is barred it becomes an offence for an organisation to knowingly engage that person in regulated activity.

Employers and volunteer managers of people working in ‘regulated activity’ have a legal duty to make referrals to the DBS in certain circumstances. The local authority also has the power to make a referral, and should do so where it is necessary.

Regulated activity is work – both paid and unpaid – with children or vulnerable adults that meets certain criteria.

The full up-to-date guidance and definitions must be referred to when deciding whether to make a DBS referral.

For disclosure information and services, visit the DBS homepage:

Safeguarding adults with care and support needs

If you or the person you are concerned about is in danger and immediate action is required you should ring the emergency services on: 999.

If you or the person you are concerned about is not in immediate danger, you should ring our Customer Service Centre on: 01609 780780.

If your concern is about someone who is in a residential or nursing home, please refer them to us via the Customer Service Centre on: 01609 780780 or, for further details, visit:

Making a complaint about care services

If you are unhappy with the response from the service provider and your care has been arranged and funded by the local authority, you should discuss your concerns with your social care worker or our complaints manager on: 0800 515875 (freephone) or: 01609 532638 as we may be able to look into your complaint further. We aim to resolve complaints as quickly and informally as possible. If you are able to talk to the managers who deliver your service, this is often the quickest and best way to get a problem resolved. If you are unhappy with our response to your complaint, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman for advice.

Palliative and end of life care

Palliative care
Palliative care refers to the services provided for people affected by a life-limiting illness when there is no cure or treatment, to try to make the end of a person’s life as comfortable as possible and to provide dignity at this difficult time. This will include relieving pain and other symptoms whilst providing psychological and social support to the person who is ill and to their carers and family. Patients can receive palliative care in their own home or a preferred place of care (such as a hospice, nursing home or hospital). Patients and their carers should talk to their GP, district nurse or hospital doctor about their needs.

Tell Us Once
Losing a loved one is hard enough without the stress of making endless contacts to inform people. Tell Us Once is a service to make is easier for families to notify some government departments about the changes to their circumstances.

When you make an appointment to register a death in North Yorkshire, you will be offered this service during the death registration, and it will mean that you can just tell us once and we will notify the organisations that participate in the service.

More information, including the contact details you need for our registration offices in North Yorkshire, can be found at: or you can contact our Customer Services Centre on: 01609 780780.