Council Funded Care

If you have been assessed as needing a care home place and your capital including your savings is below £23,250 you may be entitled to financial support from your local authority. To find out more about council funded care, contact your local Adult Social Care team.

Do I qualify for council funded care?

If you have capital below £14,250 you will be entitled to maximum support contributing your income less £23.50 per week retained for personal expenses. If you have capital between £14,250 and £23,250 you must pay a capital tariff of £1 per week for each £250 between these two figures. Capital includes the value of your former home unless it’s occupied by your partner, or a relative who is aged over 60 years or incapacitated, or a child under 16 years who you maintain or a separated partner who is a lone parent.

Do I have a choice of care home if the council is paying?

Yes and it can even be in a different county. The home you choose must be suitable for your assessed needs, comply with any terms and conditions set by the local authority and not cost any more than they would usually pay for someone with your needs.

What if a home costs more than the local authority is prepared to pay?

The local authority will allow a third party to top-up of your fees as long as they are able to do so over the long term. You are not allowed to top up the fees yourself.

My partner needs care, how does this financially affect me?

The local authority will take into account 50% of any joint savings therefore, to accelerate your council funded care, it is better to have separate single accounts meeting care costs, paid from the account of the person in the care home.