Getting out and about

community infio networkCommunity Information Network

Stay involved, informed, in touch.

The Community Information Network exists to provide you with information on local support services and activities, money matters and social care.

cinWhether you want to meet people, get help at home, find out about benefits and support, discover a computer or exercise class, or volunteer in your local community, the Community Information Network is here to help you. The service is free and operates across the county through information drop-ins, over the phone or visiting you at home.

Your local Community Information Network team

Your local Community Information Network team can help you find activities and support near to where you live. You can meet them at community information events and drop-ins or you can give them a call. They can also visit you at home if you have difficulty getting out and about, want a family member to join you, or would rather talk privately.

age uk]oxs cc



The Community Information Network is delivered by Age UK Oxfordshire in partnership with Volunteer Link-Up and supported by Oxfordshire County Council.

Good Neighbour Schemes

If you want help with transport, odd jobs, gardening, general errands, or someone to chat to, a Good Neighbour Scheme is for you.

Good Neighbour Schemes are local voluntary groups which offer a service in their community for those in need of help and support. The service aims to help you to stay independent, safe and well.

Oxfordshire County Council is encouraging Good Neighbour Schemes in Oxfordshire to form and develop. There are now over 50 schemes up and running in Oxfordshire and new schemes are emerging all the time.

For more information, contact Age UK Oxfordshire on 0345 450 1276 or

Day centres

Day centres offer a range of activities, from computer classes to lunches, exercise groups to film clubs. They serve as community hubs where people can get social care and health advice and information and can provide a valuable break for carers.

Oxfordshire County Council runs seven Health and Wellbeing Centres that support adults of all ages with physical disabilities, older frail adults, and older adults with dementia, mental health issues and learning disabilities:

Abingdon Health and Wellbeing Centre
Audlett Drive,
Abingdon OX14 3GD

Tel: 01235 521094

Banbury Health and Wellbeing Centre
Ruskin Road,
Banbury OX16 9HY

Tel: 01295 263366

Bicester Health and Wellbeing Centre
Launton Road,
Bicester OX26 6DJ

Tel: 01869 242808

Didcot Health and Wellbeing Centre
Britwell Road,
Didcot OX11 7JN

Tel: 01235 518444

Oxford Options Health and Wellbeing Centre
Awgar Stone Road,
Horspath Driftway,
Oxford OX3 7JQ

Tel: 01865 816334

Wallingford Health and Wellbeing Centre
Millington Road,
Wallingford OX10 8FE

Tel: 01491 836467

Wantage Health and Wellbeing Centre
Stirlings Close,
Garston Lane,
Wantage OX12 7AQ

Tel: 01235 765934

The Health and Wellbeing Centres aim to help people live as independently as possible in their own homes and communities, provide a range of activities and services and help people to stay healthy, independent and engaged.

Contact Oxfordshire County Council’s Social and Health Care team on 0845 050 7666 for more information about Health and Wellbeing Centres.

There are also many smaller scale activities around Oxfordshire such as lunch clubs, tea dances, church cafés and book clubs. Community Information Workers can let you know what’s available in your area. For more information, contact Age UK Oxfordshire on 0844 887 0005.

Adult learning

Whether you are looking to learn a new skill, take up a new hobby, or progress at work, Abingdon and Witney College offers a wide range of courses designed to fit in with your lifestyle, from evening and Saturday courses to fast track and modular courses, so that you can study in a way which suits you. To find out more about courses and how to enrol call 01235 555 585, email or visit

The University of the Third Age is an organisation of retired ‘but not retiring’ people who come together to learn. They do not run formal courses and no qualifications are necessary to join. Go to the website, to find out more about adult learning in Oxfordshire.

Oxfordshire Family Information Service

Oxfordshire County Council’s Family Information Service provides children, young people and families in Oxfordshire with free information and advice.

For more information, call 08452 262636 or email

Oxfordshire Travel Advice Line

The Oxfordshire Travel Advice Line (Oxtail) offers free impartial advice on a range of transport options for older people or those with a high level of support needs. Call 0845 310 1111, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm or email

Bus passes

You must be eligible to apply for a bus pass. To find out more, call Oxfordshire County Council’s Social and Health Care team on 0845 050 7666.

Blue Badges

The national Blue Badge Scheme helps people with severe walking difficulties that travel as drivers or passengers to park close to their destinations.

To apply or request an application form for a Blue Badge, please or call Oxfordshire County Council’s Social and Health Care team on 0845 050 7666.


Oxfordshire County Council may provide a disabled person’s parking place on a public road where there is a need.

Oxfordshire Community Transport Scheme

For a free directory of Oxfordshire’s community transport schemes, car schemes and community minibuses, call 01865 883488 or go to Community First Oxfordshire’s website, where you will find more information about the work of this charity that brings together people who care about local village life.

Oxfordshire Accessible Transport and Access Group

This group looks into and advises on difficulties faced specifically by people using public transport and highways and works with bus and rail companies to make sure transport in Oxfordshire is accessible and affordable. It raises issues affecting disabled people with County and District councillors, as well as working on national disability issues.

If you are a disabled passenger and have a complaint, the group will look into it for you and try to get the issue resolved. If you would like to join the group, contact Shirley McAneny, Transport Co-ordinator at Oxfordshire County Council by emailing


A Railcard will give you discounts on rail fares, online or from a staffed rail station. There are several schemes for passengers with different needs, including carers. To buy your card online, find out about ticket prices or get help planning your journey, go to or call 0345 748 4950.


Shopmobility is a free service offering loan of wheelchairs and electric scooters to people who need them for shopping and sightseeing.

Shopmobility services are available in various locations around Oxfordshire. To find out about services in your area, visit the Shopmobility website

Public toilets – including accessible toilets

Your District Councils have a list of all public toilets in your area and can tell you how accessible they are. They’ll also let you know about local shops and businesses which have accessible toilets.

The Changing Places website has a map of toilets that are fully accessible and have the equipment that disabled people may need. This can be found at

Some businesses in Oxford have agreed to let members of the public use their toilets whether they are buying anything or not. A full list of Community Toilet Scheme participants can be found on Oxford City’s website,

Some accessible toilets require a Royal Association for Disability and Rehabilitation (RADAR) key. To buy one, go to the Tourist Information shop on Broad Street, Oxford, call 0207 250 8181, or email