Getting out and about in North Yorkshire

Community transport schemes

There is a wide range of schemes available across North Yorkshire to help you get out and about so that you can access services in the community. For more information, visit our community transport page on the North Yorkshire County Council website, which provides an A-Z of the community transport operators across North Yorkshire, broken down by geographical area.

Demand responsive transport
Demand responsive transport is pre-booked transport that uses taxis or minibuses to provide transport to areas that are not served by conventional bus services.

We are working closely with community transport operators to increase the availability of these lifeline services where public transport is not available.

Details of the demand responsive services that operate in the county can be found on our website.

Bus passes

There are two main types of bus pass available as follows:

Senior person’s bus pass
Older people of pensionable age are entitled to free off-peak travel on local bus services anywhere in England.

Disabled person’s bus pass
Disabled people are entitled to free off-peak travel on local bus services anywhere in England.

You must meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • Be blind or partially sighted.
  • Be without speech.
  • Not have arms, or have long-term loss of the use of both arms.
  • Be profoundly or severely Deaf.
  • Have a learning disability.
  • Have a disability, or have suffered an injury which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk.
  • Have been refused an application for a driving licence due to physical fitness, not including the misuse of drugs or alcohol.

Companion bus passes for disabled people
You can apply for a bus pass for a companion to travel with you if you are disabled and meet the eligibility criteria. Your companion need not travel with you on every journey or be the same person each time. They cannot use the pass without you.

Applying for a bus pass
You can check whether you are eligible for a bus pass, and apply or renew your bus pass, by visiting the ‘Bus Passes’ section on the North Yorkshire County Council website.

Further details regarding transport in North Yorkshire are available at:

Blue Badge parking permits

For more information about the scheme, including how to apply or renew a badge, visit:  

If you need assistance accessing information outlined in this section please visit your local North Yorkshire library where a library assistant will support you, or contact our Customer Service Centre on: 01609 780780.