Health and wellbeing

Eating well

One You
Provides a range of information and tips on leading a healthier lifestyle.


NHS Choices
Gives all the information you need to make better choices about healthy eating.


Slimming on Referral
Adults with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or over (28 if certain health conditions are present) can attend a local Weight Watchers or Slimming World group for 12 weeks. Please speak to your doctor or practice nurse for further details. To find out your BMI, visit:


For help, advice and support to reduce your alcohol intake, contact your local GP practice. Alternatively, contact the Wiltshire Substance Misuse Service which can provide information, education, advice, support and guidance about alcohol and drugs. It is free and confidential, and provides support to adults seeking further information and advice, as well supporting those that need further assessment and help.

Wiltshire Substance Misuse Service – Turning Point

The Halve, Trowbridge BA14 8SA

Tel: 0345 603 6993
Website: (search ‘Wiltshire Substance Misuse Service’)

Be active

Get Wiltshire Walking


Wiltshire walking football sessions


Stop smoking

Wiltshire Stop Smoking Service
Free, friendly, non-judgmental advice for anyone who wants to stop using tobacco. Support is available in over 100 locations across the county or over the telephone.

Specialist advisers can help with evidence-based support and licensed medications to support smokers to become smoke free.


Wiltshire health trainers

Health trainers provide one-to-one support to help adults lead healthier, more active lives by taking more responsibility for their own physical and mental wellbeing. They support adults to improve general wellbeing; build self-confidence and motivation; be more active; eat healthier food and be a healthy weight; reduce or stop smoking and drink less alcohol. In addition, health trainers will signpost to local services and activities. Visit: or call: 0300 003 4566.

Mental health and wellbeing

If you need to talk to someone about something that is troubling you, or are worried about your mental health, you can contact the Samaritans on 0845 790 9090 at any time or make an appointment to see your doctor.


Health Matters programme

12 of Wiltshire’s libraries hold a nurse-led advice and information drop-in service on a weekly, half day basis.


Equipment for independent living

Medequip is commissioned by Wiltshire Council to deliver a number of services and is the current equipment supplier in Wiltshire. The organisation has a small shop and online self-help system at: to help you find the right equipment for you.

The Independent Living Centre in Semington provides impartial advice, assessment and demonstration of equipment at the centre, by appointment. More details can be found on its website:

If you would like an assessment from the council, contact a customer adviser on: 0300 456 0111. A customer co-ordinator or occupational therapist will discuss your needs on the telephone or by visiting you and will assess how best to resolve your difficulties. They may be able to suggest alternative ways of doing something which could mean there’s no need for any equipment. There is no charge for equipment provided by Wiltshire Council.

Further information is available on the website: or by calling a customer adviser on: 0300 456 0111.

Occupational therapy

If you do not want to access occupational therapy through the NHS or Wiltshire Council, you could contact an occupational therapist directly. If you decide to see a private occupational therapist, make sure they are fully qualified. Only healthcare professionals who are registered with the Health Professions Council (HPC) are allowed to use the title of Occupational Therapist. You can check that an occupational therapist is registered by looking on the HPC online register at:

Telecare and response service – keeping you safe

If you are interested in telecare, the council’s adult care teams can discuss the options with you so that you can decide which sensors will best suit you. If you want more information, you can telephone a customer adviser on: 0300 456 0111. Medequip, which provides this service under contract to the council, can be contacted directly on: 01249 815052.

Adapting your home

Home Improvement Service provided by Medequip

Medequip will work with you if you are receiving a DFG for a major adaptation to your home such as installing a stair-lift or a level access shower.

However, should you wish to carry out adaptations privately, or are eligible for a grant but would like some support managing it, for example someone to source builders/oversee the work, they can do this for you, but they will charge a fee. Contact Medequip on: 01249 815052.

Handyperson service

For more information, or to request the service, contact Medequip on: 01249 815052.

Care in your own home

Supporting you to live independently in your own home underpins the council’s Help to Live at Home (HTLAH) programme. Wiltshire Council has commissioned two care providers, Somerset Care and Mears, to deliver services which have been developed by local people, care providers and front-line staff. HTLAH services will help you to maintain your independence by supporting you to achieve your goals and objectives.

Further information is available on the website: or by calling a customer adviser on: 0300 456 0111