Helpful equipment, adaptations and technology in Bromley

Get advice, support and purchase online

Research Institute for Consumer Affairs (Rica)

Rica’s consumer guides are aimed at older and disabled people but are useful for everyone. Based on independent research and the experiences of consumers and experts, its information is completely unbiased.


List of accredited retailers

A list of accredited retailers in the local Bromley area can be found on the Bromley MyLife site by clicking on the accredited retailers link under the heading ‘Small items of equipment in Bromley’ at It may be a good idea to contact one of the retailers or visit their websites to see what options are available. This is the quickest way to get the small pieces of equipment that you may need.

The accreditation means that they have met the Department of Health standards for assessment and provision of small aids to independent living. As part of the standard, they will have received training from the Council.

Support from the Council

Grant funding from the Council
The Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) is a means-tested grant – criteria are set nationally – that will pay for property adaptations to support independence. You will have to be assessed by an occupational therapist in order to be considered for a DFG. To request an assessment, contact Bromley Council on 0208 461 7777 or email

Further information on DFGs can be found at

Assessment of your needs
Initial requests for advice about occupational therapy assessment should be made through the First Response Service, who can be contacted by phone on 0208 461 7777 or by email at If you are eligible for a service, you will be offered an assessment.

For short-term conditions and rehabilitation, NHS occupational therapists will provide equipment.

To find further information, visit

Using technology to keep you safe

Support from the Council
For further advice or information, or to arrange for someone to come to talk to you about telecare, please contact Bromley Council on 0208 461 7777 or email

Find out more at