Housing with care in North Yorkshire

Private retirement/sheltered housing

Most leasehold sheltered/retirement housing is purchased at full price on the open market. However, some organisations operate arrangements for people to purchase their housing.

Typically these are:

Shared ownership
A small number of housing associations offer the option of buying a share of a property and paying rent on the remainder. A service charge may have to be paid in addition to the rent. You may be eligible for Housing Benefit to help with paying your rent. Sometimes, people can purchase a higher proportion and then not have to pay any rent. All schemes are different but, usually, when you leave, the apartment will be sold on the open market (subject to the purchaser being an older person with a need to live at the scheme). Some housing associations do offer a buy back option, but not all.

Leasehold Schemes for the Elderly (LSE)
These are run by a small number of housing associations and usually require you to buy 70% of a property, the remaining portion being owned by the housing association. When you sell, you receive 70% of the market value of the property.

Lifetime lease
This product offers an arrangement where you buy the right to live in a retirement property for the rest of your life (or lives in the case of a couple). The price is well below the normal purchase price but once you leave the property it reverts back to the company. Lifetime leases are available to people aged 60 and over. Lifetime leases may also be available for non-retirement properties.

Interest-only mortgage
With an interest-only mortgage you borrow a lump sum against the value of a property and your monthly repayments will only pay off the interest of that loan. The original lump sum will need to be paid, in full, at the end of the term or when you sell the property. There are reputable financial organisations that can help you with this type of product. When considering using this type of organisation, you should ensure the company is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

Close care housing

Close care is a term used to describe various models of older people’s housing where there is sheltered/retirement accommodation linked to, or on the same site as, a care home. For information on close care housing you can contact your local council housing department or the Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC), now part of FirstStop Advice.

Housing options for younger adults with additional needs

Are you happy living at home? Would you like a little more independence with help when you need it? Would you like to explore alternative housing options? You could:

  • Continue living with your family – If your home is specially adapted and you receive the practical and emotional support needed, you may prefer to stay at home. It’s also convenient if your college or job is nearby.
  • Move into supported housing – This offers a level of independence and the chance to live independently. Supported housing is usually for people with disabilities who need housing-related or care-related support. You can have your own tenancy and will live independently but may choose to share with other people. Support and care services will be tailored to your needs. Supported housing is also designed to promote independence and reduce social isolation.
  • Rent a place – You can apply for council social housing, which is usually more affordable than renting privately. There could be a waiting list and you must fully explain your housing needs and income situation. Local housing associations may also be able to help, you can ask your council housing department for a list of these. If you want to rent privately, look in your local newspaper for ‘To Let’ advertisements or online (there are websites that provide listings of properties available for rent or sale).
  • Buy your own home – This will need careful consideration. Can you afford it? Are you able to live on your own? You could think about ‘part-buying’ and ‘part-renting’ a home from a housing association.