Housing options in Norfolk

The main routes to finding a new home are:

  • Renting from a social landlord (a housing association, a council or a voluntary sector organisation). You can apply for social housing through your local district council in Norfolk. Alongside general needs housing, social housing also includes sheltered and housing with care for older people and short term accommodation if you are homeless or in need of supported housing, e.g. supported housing for young people or domestic violence refuges for women.
  • Renting from a private landlord. Information about rental properties in your local area can be found online, in local newspapers and via letting agencies (remember there may be agency fees). You may be eligible for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit towards the cost of the rent/Council Tax. Contact your local district council for more details on how to claim.
  • Buying your own home including part buying/part renting options (‘shared ownership’) offered by some housing providers. Visit helptobuy.org.uk for information about the Government’s Help to Buy options.

Accessible homes

Newer homes have to comply with building regulations about accessibility. Some landlords (including social landlords) rent out mobility or wheelchair standard properties. There are organisations that specialise in accessible properties: it is worth looking online for more information about accessible homes in your area including sites like the Accessible Property Register www.accessible-property.org.uk. Tel: 07749 119 385.

Alternatively, talk to the housing team at your local district council for advice and information about your particular property requirements.

Support options

Support options do not necessarily have to be tied to a specific type of accommodation and should be flexible to meet individual needs. A support package could include any combination of the following: personal equipment to help with day to day tasks; assistive technology (community alarms and other technology); and traditional carers. Dependant on need, you may be eligible for financial support with some or all of the above support services.


If you are homeless, at risk of homelessness, worried about your ability to pay for the home you are living in or about to be evicted you can speak to the housing team at your local council for advice.

District Councils in Norfolk
The District Councils have a lot of information available online or from their housing teams about all aspects of housing including: housing options, applying for social housing, homelessness, benefits, tenancy and landlord issues, private sector repair, mortgage difficulties, home adaptations, environmental health issues, being safe and warm at home and more.

Breckland District Council
Housing advice: 01362 656870
Email: contactus@breckland.gov.uk
Web: www.breckland.gov.uk

Broadland District Council
Tel: 01603 430641
Email: housingoptions@broadland.gov.uk
Web: www.broadland.gov.uk

Great Yarmouth Borough Council
Housing advice: 01493 846140
Email: enquiries@great-yarmouth.gov.uk
Web: www.great-yarmouth.gov.uk

King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council
Housing advice and homelessness: 01553 616675
Email: contact@west.norfolk.gov.uk
Web: www.west-norfolk.gov.uk

North Norfolk District Council
Tel: 01263 516375
Email: housing@northnorfolk.gov.uk
Web: www.north-norfolk.gov.uk

Norwich City Council
Tel: 0344 980 3333
Email: info@norwich.gov.uk
Web: www.norwich.gov.uk

South Norfolk Council
Tel: 01508 533633
Freephone housing advice: 0808 168 2222
Email: reception@s-norfolk.gov.uk
Web: www.south-norfolk.gov.uk

Learning disability

We work in partnership with NHS Norfolk Community Health and Care to provide support and advice for people with a learning disability in Norfolk. The two organisations provide five Joint Community Teams of health and social care professionals whose philosophy is that people with a learning disability should have the same opportunities as anyone else to lead full and normal lives

The service works with individuals aged over 18 years, providing assessments, support with arranging services and information about support, facilities and opportunities people can use in the community.

It works to:

  • Ensure people with learning disabilities receive the healthcare they need and the support they want to live healthy lives.
  • Support more people into paid work and to live independent lives.
  • Ensure people have the choice to form relationships, become parents and continue to be parents.
  • Give people opportunities to study and enjoy leisure and social activities.

The Norfolk Partnership Board for Adults with a Learning Disability helps to inform the commissioning of services. For further information about the activities of the Partnership Board, visit: www.norfolklearningdisability.info

Dementia care

For local information, advice and advocacy and to discuss any dementia issues, Alzheimer’s Society Dementia Support staff are available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, on: 01603 763556. For telephone support at the weekend, the national Alzheimer’s Society Helpline is open from 10am to 4pm on Saturday and Sunday.

The Dementia Friendly Norfolk website has been developed locally in partnership with a group of carers of people with dementia: www.dementiafriendlynorfolk.com. It contains a wealth of information about dementia friendly places, events and services across Norfolk, such as support groups, cafes and organisations that have all been verified as ‘dementia friendly’. The website also contains useful information about practical help and top tips for people with dementia and their carers.

Mental health

The Wellbeing Norfolk and Waveney Service is a community-based primary care mental health service that is designed to improve the mental wellbeing of the population of Norfolk. To access this service you can self-refer over the phone or through the website below. Alternatively, you can speak to your GP who may refer you to the service. Further information can be found at: www.wellbeingnandw.co.uk together with information on local mental health support services.

You can also make a request to our Mental Health Social Work service for an assessment of your social care needs. You will receive information, advice and signposting and, in some instances support to meet your social care needs, such as help to access your community or manage your home. For more information call: 0344 800 8020.

The local NHS mental health service provider is the Norfolk and Suffolk Foundation Trust. Your needs will be assessed under the Care Programme Approach and a care plan will be devised to meet your needs.

Information on mental health and local services can be found on the websites: www.nsft.nhs.uk or www.heron.nhs.uk

Our plan to help people with palliative and end of life care needs

Norfolk’s plan for how to care for people affected by life-limiting illnesses aims to improve care for someone nearing the end of their life and for people to be able to have: ‘The care they want, where they want and when they want, during their life and after death for themselves and their family/carer(s), delivered by a competent, confident workforce.’

Services should ensure that:

  • Palliative and end of life care needs are identified and assessed.
  • Care and support services for people are well co-ordinated.
  • Everyone has the opportunity to complete a ‘Thinking Ahead’ advance care plan. This plan is designed to help people prepare for the future and gives them an opportunity to think about, talk about and write down their wishes for care at the end of life.
  • Those near the end of their life are able to choose where they would like to be cared for.
  • Carers are supported.

Talking about death and dying

There is a website designed to raise awareness of end of life issues and break down taboos about death while encouraging people to plan for their future. The ‘Be Ready For It’ website: www.bereadyforit.org.uk created by the Norfolk and Suffolk Palliative Care Academy encourages people to plan for their future (whatever their age) by talking to their friends, family or carers about their wishes at the end of their lives.

By discussing the care options at an early stage, the aim is to help people make the right choices about their care, place of death and funeral. As well as helpful checklists which make it easier for people to plan for their own or someone else’s death, the site also brings together a host of information to help when somebody has died, such as guidance about legal requirements and how to register a death. People can also share their stories, create a bucket list of things they wish to do before they die and access support from a range of charities.

Information about local services
There are links to lots of information about local supportive services for people with palliative care needs in Norfolk and Waveney via the Academy’s Be Ready For It website: www.bereadyforit.org.uk

Macmillan Cancer Care
Macmillan knows how a cancer diagnosis can affect everything and can help to support you through. From help with money worries and advice about work, to someone who’ll listen if you just want to talk, they’ll be there.

Tel: 0207 840 7840
Web: www.macmillan.org.uk

Marie Curie
Marie Curie nurses provide care to terminally ill patients in their own homes or in Marie Curie hospices, while offering support to their families.

Tel: 0800 090 2309
Web: www.mariecurie.org.uk

The initial point of contact for services and support is either through your GP or by calling us on: 0344 800 8020.