Housing for vulnerable adults

Sheltered housing

Standard sheltered housing allows individuals to live an independent life in the community with domiciliary care support. There are sheltered schemes throughout the Borough of Bromley, operated by housing associations and consisting of groups of flats, houses or bungalows.

In most schemes, a home is rented from a housing association, although there are leasehold properties available through some schemes, where a property can be bought. Some schemes have communal facilities such as on-site launderettes. Support is given to residents by housing association staff who generally live off site and are known as ‘floating wardens/scheme managers’. The level of rent and service charges vary between schemes, according to the standard of accommodation and the facilities provided.

Sheltered housing wardens do not provide personal care. If you are getting housing benefit, this will help to meet the cost of your rent, but you should check what other costs can be met through the benefits service. If you are interested in further information then you can contact the Housing Options and Assessments Team on housing.options@bromley.gov.uk or by telephone at 020 8313 4098 or by looking at this page on Bromley MyLife: http://bromley.mylifeportal.co.uk/housingforolderpeople. Some Housing Associations will take direct applications.

Extra Care Housing

Extra Care Housing is for people who are unable to live safely and independently
in their own homes, but are not in need of the level of care provided in a care or nursing home. Extra Care Housing allows individuals to remain safe and independent secure in the knowledge that help is on hand should they need it.

Extra Care Housing is provided by the Council in partnership with a number of housing associations.
These are:
• Affinity Sutton;
• A2 Dominion; and
• Hanover Housing.
Extra Care Housing provides:
• bedsits;
• studios; and
• one or two-bedroom apartments.

Some Extra Care schemes specialise in supporting people with dementia to live full and fulfilled lives.

The Extra Care Housing schemes, some of which have been in existence for many years, are located in various parts of the Borough. The Council has been working in partnership with a number of organisations to build three new extra care housing developments, two of them are located in Bromley Common and the other is in Penge. Extra Care Housing is allocated on the basis of an applicants need. An assessment of need will be carried out using the Fair Access to Care criteria laid down for this type of housing accommodation. If you think that Extra Care Housing may be right for you, please contact Bromley Social Services Direct on 020 8461 7777 or email: BSSD@bromley.gov.uk, who will be able to advise you and arrange for a Care Assessor to visit you. Further information can be found on Bromley MyLife: http://bromley.mylifeportal.co.uk/housingforolderpeople.

Bromley Shared Lives

Shared Lives provide care and support to vulnerable adults. The scheme recruits, trains and assesses individuals and families who can provide support within their own homes to people with special needs.

The Shared Lives Service is for people over the age of 16 who:
• have a learning disability;
• have mental ill health;
• have physical/sensory disabilities; and
• are older adults;
• live in the Borough of Bromley

• meet the eligibility criteria to access services; and
• need support to live independently.

For information on becoming a Shared Lives carer please visit: www.bromley.gov.uk/sharedlives.

If you think the service might be suitable for you or someone you care about, then please call 020 8461 7020 and talk to a member of the team.