If you care for someone

If you care for someone

If you provide regular care for a family member, neighbour or friend, you might need some help from time to time. The first step is to look at exactly what kind of help you need, and this is done via a carer’s assessment.

Adult Social Care can work with you to assess your needs as a carer – it doesn’t matter whether the person you care for is using a service from the Council or not.

There is a range of information leaflets called ‘A Quick Guide to Carers Services in Leeds’; ‘Getting a Break’; ‘Carers Assessments’ and ‘Carers Emergency Service’. Available from Advice Centres, One Stop Centres and Leeds City Council Adult Social Care on 0113 222 4401

Carer’s allowance
You may be eligible for a carer’s allowance or other financial support.

If you have access to the web, visit the website: www.nhs.uk/carersdirect or call Carers Direct on 0808 802 0202. If not, you can get advice from Carers Leeds on 0113 246 8338.

Getting a break
Adult Social Care provides and arranges breaks for carers.

There are a number of agencies who can provide short breaks in the home of the person being looked after. See leaflet ’Getting a Break’ as above.

A service called ‘Shared Lives’ can look after adults with a wide range of support needs including older people, adults with dementia, or those with a learning, physical or sensory impairment. This could be in the person’s own home or the home of the carer, and can be during the day, overnight, weekends or for longer periods.

If you’re a family carer there are different ways to get a break, but in most instances you would need to have a carer’s assessment first. Contact Adult Social Care on 0113 222 4401, textphone 0113 222 4410, or see www.leeds.gov.uk