Independent Care Home Providers

Care in your own home is often referred to as either ‘domiciliary’ or ‘home care’. Given the choice, many people prefer to stay in their own homes surrounded by their possessions and near to  their family and friends. This, of course, applies to everyone whether they are elderly and frail, convalescing, have a physical or learning disability, or have dementia. The range of care available is varied and each client should be involved, and agree, with the care provider, a care plan which states their needs and the expected outcomes. Domiciliary care is usually arranged in a manner dependent upon needs:

Low level domiciliary care – This may be to assist with household chores such as shopping, cleaning and assistance with food preparation. It may also involve a carer accompanying clients on trips out and even holidays. Calls from carers can be flexible in line with the client’s needs.

Medium level domiciliary care – In addition to low level care this will normally involve personal care (assistance with washing, dressing etc), and/or one carer to assist with
mobility. Clients may wish to have a carer sleep in their home overnight for security and reassurance.

High level care – This involves visits by two or more carers who assist clients with high dependency needs such as being transferred from a bed to a chair etc. Carers may require specific training for the health needs of a client.

Live-in care – A carer lives in the client’s home, is allowed time off each day and must have a night’s sleep. Live-in care can be arranged as a short respite for the client’s main carer or a permanent arrangement to suit the client’s needs.

24 hour care – This is required when the client needs assistance or monitoring through the day and night; it differs from live-in care in that carers work on a roster to ensure that a carer is on duty and awake both day and night.

Some agencies are also registered as Nurses’ Agencies, meaning they can provide registered nurses if needed. All service providers delivering personal care must be  registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Listings of home care providers start on page 25. It is important to be assured that all carers have been cleared by the Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS), have received necessary training, are properly referenced, and are eligible to work in the UK prior to them visiting your home.

Ask the service provider to show evidence that the carers they introduce are indeed compliant with the legislation, and check their latest CQC report at or call the CQC on 03000 616161.


Domiciliary care for social care needs can be funded in part or whole by the local authority, or alternatively private arrangements can be made with service providers. If you are in receipt of Attendance Allowance (or Personal Independence Payment), you may choose to use this to fund some home care support. Although the local authority is committed to maintaining people at home wherever possible, it will seek to meet the assessed needs of people in need of funding support in the most cost effective manner.
The majority of Adult Social Care funded care is
contracted out to private companies, rather than the
internal local authority service. Fees for services vary. A good service provider will be able to provide you with a detailed cost breakdown prior to the commencement of any service.

Most service providers will accept clients who pay using Direct Payments (discussed further on pages 7-9). You will still need to have an assessment of your needs, and if you are eligible, you can decide whether you would prefer to arrange the services yourself. If you do not meet your Council’s eligibility criteria, you must organise your own
care as a ‘self-funder’, although advice will be available on request.

With thanks to The Care Bureau