Keeping Safe

Trusted traders

Oxfordshire County Council’s ‘Buy With Confidence’ scheme provides a list of reputable local businesses. Trading Standards staff have checked member businesses to ensure their trustworthiness and compliance with the law. You can search the list of approved providers at

Fire and rescue

To reduce the chance of having a fire in your home, you need to be aware of the risks, how to prevent them and what to do should a fire occur. An online home fire risk check will take you through various high-risk areas and highlight where you may have a fire risk. Visit to find out more.

If you are worried about your fire safety and would like to know if you are eligible for a free home fire risk check, please complete the online form at

Keeping warm in winter

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5th January 1953. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

If you are a new claimant, contact the Winter Fuel Payments helpline on 0845 915 1515. The line is open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Protecting vulnerable adults

If you are worried about contacting the police, you can contact Oxfordshire County Council’s Social and Health Care team to talk things over first on 0845 050 7666.

Further information is also available on the Oxfordshire Safeguarding Adults Board website at

If someone is in immediate danger, call the police on 999.

Domestic abuse

Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse services offer emotional and practical support to victims suffering or fleeing domestic abuse. Call the helpline on 0800 731 0055 between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Saturday or visit the website

There is also a National Domestic Abuse Helpline which is open 24-hours, call 0808 200 0247.

Protecting children and young people

If you are worried about a child or young person’s wellbeing, or think they may be at risk of harm or being abused or neglected, you should let someone know.

There are a number of organisations you can speak to but if you think a child is in immediate danger, call the police on 999. You can also get advice and help from the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children helpline on 0808 800 5000 or get help via email on

You can contact Oxfordshire County Council whether you are a concerned member of the public, a child or young person who is being harmed, or a parent or carer who feels at risk of harming a child.

Oxfordshire County Council’s Social and Health Care team
Tel: 0845 050 7666

Emergency Duty team (outside office hours)
Tel: 0800 833 408

The Kingfisher Team is a specialist team of police and social workers who work with children and young people at risk of sexual exploitation. The team can be contacted on 01865 335276.