Keeping Safe

Trusted traders

Oxfordshire County Council’s ‘Buy With Confidence’ scheme provides a list of reputable local businesses checked by Trading Standards. Trading Standards staff have checked member businesses to ensure their trustworthiness and compliance with the law. You can search the list of approved businesses at:

Fire and rescue

To reduce the chance of having a fire in your home you need to be aware of the risks, how to prevent them and what to do should a fire occur. An online home fire risk check will take you through various high-risk areas and highlight where you may have a fire risk. Visit the website: to find out more.

If you are worried about your fire safety and would like to know if you are eligible for a free home fire risk check please complete the form on:

Keeping warm in winter

You could get between £100 and £300 tax free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 January 1952. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

If you are a new claimant contact the Winter Fuel Payments helpline on: 0845 915 1515. The line is open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.

Protecting vulnerable adults

Far too many vulnerable adults suffer abuse and neglect, often at the hands of relatives or people in trusted positions. A vulnerable adult is a person aged 18 years or over who may be unable to take care of themselves, or protect themselves from harm or from being exploited.

Abuse could be physical, sexual, psychological and emotional, or financial. It could also cover the issue of neglect. Institutional abuse affects more than one person within an organisation and is not address by the service’s management.

If you are worried about contacting the police you can contact Oxfordshire County Council’s Social and Health Care team to talk things over first on: 0845 050 7666.

Domestic abuse

Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse services offer emotional and practical support to victims suffering or fleeing domestic abuse.

Call the Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Helpline on: 0800 731 0055 between 10am to 4pm Monday to Saturday.

The National Domestic Abuse Helpline is open 24 hours, call: 0808 200 0247.

Protecting children and young people

If you are worried about a child or young person’s wellbeing, or think they may be at risk of harm or being abused or neglected, you should let someone know.

There are a number of organisations you can speak to but if you think a child is in immediate danger, call the police on: 999. You can also get advice and help from the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children helpline on: 0808 800 5000 or get help via email on:

You can contact Oxfordshire County Council whether you are a concerned member of the public, a child or young person who is being harmed, or a parent or carer who feels at risk of harming a child.

Social and Health Care team: 0845 050 7666. Emergency Duty Team (outside office hours):
0800 833 408.

Oxfordshire Support Finder
A one-stop-shop for adult social and health care information and advice, to help you take control of your care and support.

Sexual assault

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted and report it to the police they can refer you to a Sexual Assault Referral Centre.

You can contact the centre on: 0845 519 7638 – 24 hours a day.

Women and girls can also contact the Oxford Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis centre helpline on: 01865 725311. It is open Sunday 6pm to 8.30pm, Monday 6.30pm to 9pm, Thursday 6.30pm to 9pm and Friday 11.30am to 2pm.

You can email them at: or go to: