Keeping Warm at Home

Try to keep the temperature of your living room at the recommended temperature of 70°F/ 21°C and the rest of the house heated to at least 64°F /18°C.

  • Make sure that you have some warm slippers or shoes that have a good grip. Try to keep your feet up as the air is cooler at ground level.
  • Put on several warm, light layers of clothing which will keep you warmer than one thick layer.
  • Have hot drinks, use a hot water bottle and if you’re sitting down, put a blanket over you.
  • Keep moving – avoid sitting down for long periods as muscles become stiff and slow when they are cold. Even housework will generate body heat and help to  keep you warm.

To find out what help you may be entitled to improve the warmth and insulation in your home please contact your local council if you live in Bedford Borough or Central Bedfordshire.

If you live in Luton please contact the Luton Home Improvement Agency (HIA) which is a multi-agency scheme that provides key provisions for vulnerable households in Luton. The HIA provides assistance in:

  • warmth provision;
  • income maximisation;
  • a Handyperson scheme;
  • home safety checks
  • housing advocacy; and
  • Green Deal advice.

Luton HIA specialises in providing advice and support in fuel poverty issues, provides access to grant-funded programmes and works closely with other agencies to make sure that households get a robust, holistic service that will address their needs.

If you are a Luton resident interested in finding out more info about the Luton HIA please call 01582 546789 or email

Priority Services Register

If you are a pensioner, have long-term ill health, are registered disabled or have a hearing or visual impairment, you may be eligible for extra help offered by energy suppliers.

One service is the Priority Services Register. To ensure you receive additional services, you need to sign up to your supplier’s Priority Services Register. If you have different suppliers for electricity and gas, you will need to register with each. If you have a carer, they can register on your behalf. There is no charge and you can register for all or some of the services.

For more information you can contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline: 08454 04 05 06.