Leaving hospital

The council can provide a service to patients, their families or carers which may make discharge from hospital quicker and safer. The council will come along and talk to anyone who needs help. Many people leaving hospital require little help, and may only need information. Other people leaving hospital may need the services mentioned below. These are known as ‘enablement services’ and are made up of the following people:

  • Social Worker – who visits you on the ward to assess your needs.
  • Domiciliary care co-ordinator – who plans and organises the agreed support when you are discharged from hospital.
  • Occupational therapist – who assesses your ability to undertake daily tasks at home and gives advice on how you can maintain and improve your independence.
  • Home support worker – who will help you to regain your independence by supporting you in carrying out day-to-day tasks.

The long term conditions service aims to:

  • Facilitate safe home support to people with long term conditions when needed.
  • Improve a person’s quality of life and encourage self care.
  • Work with health colleagues to identify people who require this service.
  • Identify people who are at risk of having to go back into hospital if they don’t have the care they need.
  • Improve the care provided to people living in Kirklees with a long term condition.

Nursing care
If you wish to arrange care for yourself, you can contact providers listed in this directory. If you have nursing needs for example you need a registered nurse to administer medication, you need to ask for a ‘nursing determination’ – an assessment of your need for nursing given by a
registered nurse. The NHS will make a contribution to cover the nursing care element of your fees.

Adapting your home
Do you have mobility problems? Adaptations to your home may help you to get around more easily. Your assessment will identify if you meet the criteria for an adaptation to your home or if there are other ways to help meet your needs. If it is agreed you need adaptations to your home a referral will be made to the council’s Accessible Homes team.

Please contact Gateway to care on 01484 414933.