Leaving hospital and staying independent

Adult Social Care and the NHS work very closely together to ensure that hospital patients are discharged safely and are able to return to home life as quickly as possible. Social care staff are available to help with information and advice when you are ready to leave hospital.

No matter which hospital you are in, you can request an assessment of your needs to help you stay independent and confident when you return home. The assessment involves asking you about your needs and what is required to help you live safely and independently at home. There will also be an explanation of any charges that may be made.

A relative, carer, or a member of the hospital staff may also approach the hospital social care team and ask them to carry out an assessment, but this will not go ahead unless you agree.

If you already have a social care service in place Adult Social Care will make an assessment of any other needs you may have after your stay in hospital.

Carers should be offered an assessment and may also need advice and support. The hospital social care team is available to discuss any issues with them and also give them details of carers’ support groups.

Adult Social Care can also introduce you to local voluntary organisations who can help with a variety of services such as laundry and domestic cleaning, or sitting services.

Borough of Poole also works with people who are being discharged from hospital who are not eligible for financial assistance from Adult Social Care services, sometimes known as self-funding clients.

A social worker will visit these clients and undertake a full assessment of the person’s needs. The social worker will help people with information, advice and support about appropriate community services which can include information about care homes, home care, benefits information and day opportunities. They will also signpost people to other services who may be able to help.

Bournemouth residents who are being discharged from Royal Bournemouth or Christchurch hospitals following a stroke are supported by the Stroke Coordination Team. They offer practical support to help people return to living as independently as possible. This could involve signposting to services for people who need ongoing care, helping people to join clubs and groups or assistance with finding work or volunteering.

You can contact them on 01202 705440 or email: stroketeam@bournemouth.gov.uk.

Poole residents being discharged from Poole Hospital following a stroke are also supported by a Stroke Coordination service. This service provides information, support and signposting to ensure that people have the information they need to make choices which enable them to live as independently as possible after a stroke. The Stroke Coordination service can also refer clients to the care management team and psychological support services if additional care support is required, based on identified need.

Dorset residents being discharged from Dorset County Hospital (Dorchester), Royal Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole hospitals are also supported through a Stroke Coordination service. This service provides advice and information, support and signposting to help people to become as independent as possible.