Mental health

Your local Community Mental Health Team (CMHT) should be your first point of contact if you have mental health issues. You can ask your GP to refer you or ask someone who knows you to contact the CMHT on your behalf.

There is increased demand for home care for people with mental health issues arising from greater use of supported living instead of care home placements. Like other specialist care services, this can be paid for (if you have been assessed as eligible) with a personal budget.

Alternatively, a good care home can help improve the quality of your life – the structured environment and activities provided can build up your confidence. The care providers should assess you carefully to make sure the placement is right for you. A member of staff may visit you at home, talk to you and look at your assessments of health and social care need. Care providers that specialise in care for people with mental health issues are shown with MH in their listing.