Money and paying for support and care

Care funded by the Council

Do I qualify for local authority financial assistance?
To find out more, contact Oxfordshire County Council’s Social and Health Care team on 0845 050 7666.

Paying for your own care

My Care My Home
My Care My Home offers a free telephone and face-to-face advice service through home visits aimed at helping people find a suitable home care provider, or care in sheltered or Extra Care schemes and care homes. It is also able to visit people who are currently in hospital and require a package of care before they can be discharged.

My Care My Home offers referrals to Independent Financial Advisers; however, if you wish to arrange your own financial adviser, My Care My Home can give you the necessary details to enable you to do this.

The full service is explained in detail at or you can call the freephone number on 0800 731 8470 to find out more.

Other sources of help and advice include:

Financial Conduct Authority
The Financial Conduct Authority’s website has a range of easy to understand advice and information on sourcing financial advice, including how to find and choose a suitable adviser, what to expect from them, the difference between independent and restricted advisers and charging options. Visit

All advisers should be accredited by the Financial Conduct Authority.

The Society of Later Life Advisers
The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) aims to help people to find trusted accredited financial advisers who have a particular understanding of financial needs in later life.

The Later Life Adviser Accreditation Scheme is audited and endorsed by the standard-setting body the Financial Skills Partnership (FSP). The website offers an online search of SOLLA accredited advisers. Visit

The Saga Care Funding Advice Service, provided by Just Retirement Solutions Limited, specialises in providing care funding advice for people who need to pay for their own care needs. There is a useful free guide to paying for care on its website that can be downloaded or requested by post. Visit or phone 0800 096 8703 to speak to an adviser.

Paying for Care
Paying for Care is a not-for-profit organisation which includes advice on its website on paying for care, as well as an online care fees calculator and a care cap calculator. The website offers a search facility for local advisers. For SOLLA-accredited advisers, look for the red and purple flower logo by their name. Visit

Benefits advice

You can find out more about the benefits you might be entitled to by visiting which features reliable advice on how to make a claim and what to do if your circumstances change.

The Oxfordshire Specialist Advice Service

Age UK Oxfordshire, Citizens Advice Oxford, Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire and Oxfordshire Welfare Rights have come together to provide a free, comprehensive, independent advice service

The service helps with queries around benefits, money advice, budgeting and other welfare issues and will link you into services that can provide further support.

The service is free for people to use, and is focused on meeting the needs of people living in Oxfordshire who are struggling with their day-to-day lives due to disability or ill health. However, you don’t have to have a carer or anyone looking after you.

We will be able to help you if you:

  • have a disability or long term illness;
  • have someone in your family household with a disability or long-term illness;
  • are caring for someone with a disability or long-term illness; or
  • are a young person transitioning from children’s care services.

Oxfordshire Specialist Advice Service provides a dedicated telephone advice line and email service, which aims to answer all your queries around benefits, money advice, budgeting and other welfare issues and link you into services that can provide further support. This is backed up by a team of specialist advisers, who are able to meet face-to-face with people unable to access advice by telephone, email or in their local community.

The service also supports professionals who may be working with you, through the provision of comprehensive and responsive training opportunities and a consultancy line for specialist case support.

Please call 01865 410660, 9am to 5pm weekdays, or email your enquiry to