Occupational therapy

Occupational therapists can help you lead a more active and independent life using a variety of methods, including the use of adaptive equipment. They can assess your home for hazards and point out things that might contribute to falls. They also advise carers on techniques for moving and handling the person they care for. Adult Social Care may be able to help with specialists. Visiting you at home, an occupational therapist will be able to suggest adaptations that will improve your mobility. Perhaps handrails would be useful? Would a ramp up to your front door help if you are in a wheelchair?

Major alterations such as fitting a downstairs bathroom or widening doorways can be paid for with a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).

An occupational therapist will talk you through any new equipment you may be given, as well as help you apply for funding for major adaptations, if you need them. An assessment of your needs will determine whether an occupational therapist will be the best person to help and what charges (if any) you can expect to pay.

The local authorities, NHS Dorset and hospitals in Dorset have collaborated to provide an integrated supply service, with Adult Social Care currently supplying 9,000 items of home equipment and adaptations to people with disabilities each year. A new prescription-based system is being trialled, aimed at providing greater choice and more buying power to the end user.

Contact the Adult Access Team for details of how
they may be able to help.
Tel: 01305 221016
Fax: 01305 264607
Email: adultaccess@dorsetcc.gov.uk

Bournemouth and Poole
In Bournemouth you can access a wide range of aids to daily living to meet your assessed needs through the Equip for Living Service. This is run in partnership with Borough of Poole, Dorset CCG and Nottingham Rehab Supplies (NRS).

There is also an Enable Me shop and demonstration area offering advice and ideas for people looking to buy their own aids.

Equip for Living/Enable Me
498 Wallisdown Road, Bournemouth BH11 8PT.
Tel: 0844 893 6364
Fax: 0844 893 6365
Email: enquiries@bandp.nrs-uk.net

You can find out more by phoning the Adult Social Care Help Desk on 01202 633902 or Bournemouth Care Direct on 01202 454979.