Paying for your care

Financial assessment

Whatever your circumstances, whether you receive care in your own home or residential care, the Isle of Wight Council will financially assess each person on an individual basis to determine how much we need to contribute towards the cost of their care. Some people may have a minimal amount to pay and some people may have to pay the full amount.

To help you understand the financial aspects, the Isle of Wight Council has produced some fact sheets which can be accessed on: under Adult Finances or copies can be sent to you by calling: 01983 823340.

People who come under Section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1983 will continue to be exempt from making a contribution to their support costs. This means that they do not have to pay for any of their mental health services.

NHS Nursing Care Contribution

If you are a temporary or permanent resident who lives in a care home that provides nursing care you may be able to get the NHS Nursing Care Contribution towards the cost of that care. It is not means-tested and is paid directly to the home.


There is a national framework, set by the Department of Health, which councils use to decide who is eligible for services, called Fair Access to Care Services (FACS). FACS is the eligibility criteria – the Council only has a duty to provide services to people who meet the FACS level it has set. We do this by only making a contribution to the cost of the care and support for those people who fall within the ‘critical’ and ‘substantial’ categories of the criteria.

You can find out more information about eligibility either from the Social Care Institute for Excellence’s (SCIE) website at: (search for Fair Access to Care Services) or locally at:

Please don’t worry if you are not eligible, People Matter IW will be able to signpost you to other organisations that may be able to help. Please contact People Matter IW on: 01983 241494.