Paying for care

Financial assessments

For further information, please contact a customer adviser on: 0300 456 0111. Further information can be found in the ‘paying for care’ section on:

Direct payments

If you are interested in learning more about having a direct payment, or would like support with an existing direct payment, the Wiltshire Centre for Independent Living is commissioned by the council to provide this service. The service can be contacted on: 01380 725400. You can also contact the council’s customer advisers on: 0300 456 0111.

How Wiltshire Council can help

NHS Continuing Healthcare

For further information, contact the Continuing Healthcare Team at Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group on: 01380 733865.

Running out of money

Contact the council to find out more: 0300 456 0111 or see page xx for information on getting financial advice.

Seeking financial advice

You can access both general information about paying for care and information about accredited financial advisers in your area through the Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA):

The Money Advice Service also gives information about finding independent financial advisers.

Tel: 0800 138 7777

The council has identified two companies accredited by SOLLA to provide money advice services to the people of Wiltshire:

Towry Limited

3rd Floor, Portwall Place,
Portwall Lane,

Tel: 0117 9171466

Eldercare Group Ltd

Tel: 0800 082 1155

There are other companies that also offer this service, but it is important to ensure they are accredited by the Society of Later Life Advisers.

Citizens Advice or Age UK can advise you further.

Age UK
Provides independent information and advice on finding and paying for care. Tel: 01380 727767


Citizens Advice Bureau
Provides quality, free, independent, confidential and impartial advice for everyone.

Tel: 0344 411 1444