Paying for residential or nursing care in Swansea

Your council will have a maximum weekly amount it will pay towards residential care fees. If the home you have chosen charges more than your council’s fee levels, you will either need to find someone who can pay the difference – a ‘top-up’ payment – or find a cheaper home or room.. If someone pays a top-up payment for you, they should realise that they may have to pay this for the duration of your time in care and the cost could rise.

When you move into care, you may be entitled to some of the following financial assistance and support, subject to an assessment of need:

12 week property disregard

If your former home is included in your financial assessment but your other capital is less than £24,000, and your income is not enough to meet your care home fees, your council may help with the cost during the first 12 weeks of permanent care, provided it agrees that care is needed.

Deferred payment agreements

If you are eligible, you may be offered a deferred payment agreement. This means that, after the 12 week property disregard period, any financial help from the council will be charged against the value of your home and recovered once your house has been sold or from your estate. However, the council may limit how much it will pay and it may affect your entitlement to Pension Credit or Income Support if your property is not seen to be on the market and becomes treated as capital by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).