Physical disability and sensory impairment

If you have a physical disability, a long-term illness or sensory impairment, Adult Services and
other organisations in the independent and not for profit sectors can provide a range of services to help you live as independently as possible. There are also services available to support someone who may be your carer.

Teams within Adult Services assess older people and people with physical disabilities, long-term
illness or sensory impairment in hospital, in care homes or in the wider community.

Initial requests and referrals for adult social care services are handled by the Adult Social
Care Department (Essex) and the Access Team (Southend-on-Sea), who also provide information and advice to callers. Contact details are on page 106.

The teams will then work with anyone needing more detailed assessment or care management.

As with all support from Adult Services, your needs must firstly be assessed (see page 8) to determine the best ways to support you; your carer can also have an assessment. You may wish to discuss your needs with your family doctor in the first instance.

Support from Adult Services includes: allocation of a personal budget (see page 8); occupational
therapists; help with equipment and adaptations your home (see page 12); activities within the
community; help at home, and with leaving hospital (see pages 22 and 23); short breaks; help
if required to move into residential or nursing home care; and help for carers (see page 20).

If Adult Services arranges a care home placement for you, you should check a number of issues. What choice of home do you have and is this restricted by the amount of care you need?
How does the home meet national essential standards of quality and safety laid down by
the Care Quality Commission (see page 62)? Does the staff team in the home have good links
with the local Adult Services Care Management Team?

Update on benefits for disabled people Since April 2013, Disability Living Allowance for disabled people aged 16 to 64 was replaced by a new Personal Independence Payment. How much you’ll get depends on how your health condition or disability affects you. For further
information, visit