Physical and sensory disabilities

If you have a physical disability, sensory impairment or a long-term illness, Adult Social Care Services and other organisations in the independent and not-for-profit sectors can provide a range of services to help you live as independently as possible. There are also services available to support your carer.

As with all support from Adult Social Care Services, your needs must firstly be assessed to determine the best ways to support you; your carer can also have an assessment. You may wish to discuss your needs with your family doctor in the first instance.

Support from Adult Social Care Services includes: allocation of a personal budget if your needs are judged eligible; occupational therapists; help with equipment and adaptations to your home; activities within the community; help at home, and with leaving hospital; short breaks; help if required to move into residential or nursing home care; and help for carers.

If Adult Social Care Services arranges a care home placement for you, you should check a number of issues. What choices of home do you have and is this restricted by the amount of care you need? Is the provision in accordance with Care Quality Commission’s standards? Does the staff team in the home have good links with the local ACS Care Management Team?

You can ring Nottingham Health and Care Point on 0300 300 33 33 for advice or an assessment or, for an informal chat on services run by the Council or to arrange to buy Council services privately, please ring 0115 876 3222 to speak to an adviser or go to