Residential care in Nottinghamshire

First, visit: or phone: 0300 500 80 80 for details about a range of services which can help you.

If you are considering residential care for yourself or a family member, please contact us on: 0300 500 80 80; we will be happy to assist.

Quality in care homes

Our staff visit each care home for older people every year and assess a range of factors, including how effectively managed the service is, how people are protected, if they are supported by competent staff, what their experience is like and whether care is focused around the person’s needs and wishes.

Judgements on each standard are made following collection of evidence and are used to give each home a quality rating, with band one being the lowest quality and band five the highest. For further information on quality banded fee rates.

What happens when a council has suspended its agreement with a care home/care home with nursing?
While all care homes/care homes with nursing are required to be registered with the Care Quality Commission, if we are contributing to your care fees, then we will have a separate agreement in place with the care home/care home with nursing. This is to ensure that the Council and the management staff at the care home/care home with nursing know exactly what is required from the service. Occasionally it may be necessary to temporarily suspend placements into a care home/care home with nursing. This may be done for a variety of reasons:

  • to look into information of concern;
  • to allow time for improvements to be made; or
  • to take the pressure off a care home/care home with nursing if it is experiencing a problem.

Sometimes a care home/care home with nursing may voluntarily cease admitting people so that staff can make necessary improvements.

While a placement suspension is in place, no further Council-funded placements will be made to the care home/care home with nursing and alternative placements should be sought.

If there are serious concerns about a care home/care home with nursing, residents and/or their relatives/carers will be informed of the situation.