Running out of money whilst in care

Running out of money can be an avoidable situation for many people if they receive specialist information and advice. If you are funding the cost of your own care (ie a self-funder) then you are recommended to seek specialist information and advice.

If your capital is likely to reduce to below £23,250 as a result of paying for care you must advise the Council well in advance of this happening. It is recommended that you contact them when your capital is down to £25,000. They will advise if the Council is able to assist you with your care fees. They will carry out a care assessment and a financial assessment to confirm eligibility and the date from which your funds fall below £23,250 and the amount they will pay and the amount you will pay towards your care.

If you do meet the criteria for social care and are already buying services privately, the Council may not provide financial support that allows you to keep the same level and type of services if your capital and assets falls below the threshold limit of £23,250.

In these circumstances, if you want to receive the same level and type of care, someone other than yourself, possibly a family member, may have to pay the difference between what the Council will pay and the cost of the support you have chosen. This is known as a third party payment.

If there is no third party (person other than yourself) to top up any difference between the Council’s funding limit and the cost of your care fees, the Council will ensure your assessed needs are met but may need to ask you to move to an alternative care provider.

Whatever your circumstances:
• It is just your own financial circumstances that are assessed, not your partner’s
• Your assessment will be made up of two elements; a care needs assessment and a financial one.
• A nursing home will generally be more expensive than a residential home.

Consider claiming:
• Income support.
• Pension Credit.
• Savings Credit (if you are over 65).

Definitely claim:
• Attendance Allowance, worth either £54.45 or £81.30 a week depending on your care needs.
Moving into a nursing home?
• You may be eligible for the NHS Nursing Care Contribution of £110.89 a week depending on your assessed care needs.

If eligible for Continuing Healthcare and your primary health needs require nursing care then you will be offered a nursing home place and the fees will be met in full by Continuing Healthcare.

Always seek advice:
Independent help is available to guide you through your financial options. There may be a number of solutions to retaining your capital whilst paying for care.

For more information about what Gloucestershire County Council will pay towards care costs, call the Adult Social Care Helpdesk on: 01452 426868.

The figures quoted here are likely to change during the life of this Directory. After April 2014, please check with Gloucestershire County Council for up to date information; call the Adult Social Care Helpdesk on 01452 426868.