Adult care complaint in Oxfordshire

If you are unhappy or worried about Oxfordshire County Council’s Adult Social Care services, it is important to let someone know.

Usually talking to someone in the service can put it right. If you need to make an adult care complaint in Oxfordshire, you can talk to the people who provide your care or their managers.

They will have a process in place for managing complaints and listening to concerns that are raised.

Wherever you raise an adult care complaint in Oxfordshire, it should be listened to and taken seriously. The good and bad things people raise can help improve services for everyone. You will not be treated unfairly because of anything you raise. It is never wrong to give the service a call.

The Comments and Complaints Team will help you decide what to do – you do not have to make a formal complaint to talk things through.

or contact the team on: 01865 323589,
or write to:
Comments and Complaints Service
County Hall, New Road,
Oxford OX1 1ND

For complaints concerning the NHS, contact NHS Complaints on: 0300 343 5718 or email:

Complaints about care that you pay for yourself

You can ask the Local Government Ombudsman to take up your case if you are not happy about how a care home or service dealt with your complaint about care that you pay for yourself.

Write to:
The Local Government Ombudsman,
PO Box 4771, Coventry CV4 0EH
Or call 0300 061 0614 or 0845 602 1983.

You can call the County Council’s Comments and Complaints Service for advice about what to do or to raise a concern about a service. Contact details are above.

Healthwatch Oxfordshire

Healthwatch Oxfordshire is an independent organisation that listens to people’s thoughts and experiences of health and social care in Oxfordshire and works to help people get the best out of these services, whether it’s improving them today or helping to shape them for tomorrow.

Healthwatch will give children, young people and adults a powerful voice both locally and nationally by:

  • providing information about local health and social care services;
  • listening to your views and experiences on the way that health and social care services are delivered;
  • using your views to make recommendations about how your services could or should be improved now; and
  • making your views known to influence the way your services are designed for the future.

For more information about Healthwatch Oxfordshire, please call: 01865 520520 or visit:

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service is a free and confidential service that provides help to the public when dealing with the NHS. It acts independently when handling patient and family concerns, liaising with staff, managers and relevant organisations to negotiate immediate or prompt solutions.

If the team cannot answer your questions, they will put you in contact with someone who can help you. There are Patient Advice and Liaison Services locally at each NHS Trust:

Churchill Hospital
Tel: 01865 235855 or email:

Horton General Hospital
PALS Office: Tel: 01295 229259 or email:

John Radcliffe
Tel: 01865 221473/740868 or email:

Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre
PALS Office: Tel: 01865 738126 or email:

Oxford Health
Tel: 0800 328 7971 or email:

Oxfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group
Tel: 01865 336800 or email:

Get involved


Oxfordshire Healthwatch is working with Oxfordshire County Council to run Hearsay events to find out what the public thinks about Adult Social Care services.

People who use services provided by the Council are invited with friends, carers and family members to have their say about what is most important to them. They are able to speak directly to people responsible for the planning and quality of adult care services.

If you would like to get involved in a Hearsay event, please call 01865 520520 or write to

Oxfordshire Voice

This is a citizen’s panel made up of over 3,000 Oxfordshire residents who have volunteered to give up some of their time to answer surveys on a wide variety of issues. Panel members are carefully recruited to be representative of the population of Oxfordshire and are invited to stay on the panel for around three years. Visit: to find out more.

Public Involvement Network

The Public Involvement Network invites you to take part in events and have your say about issues that affect health and wellbeing across Oxfordshire – including social care, education, housing and public health.

You can register online and choose specific areas of interest and preferred ways to take part at:

Do you have some general feedback to give about something to do with health or social care? Let the network know now and they will share it with the appropriate organisation.

Health and Wellbeing Board

The Health and Wellbeing Board is a partnership between Oxfordshire County Council, the NHS, District Councils, local Healthwatch and the people of Oxfordshire. It is designed to ensure that we all work together to improve our health and wellbeing, especially those of us with health problems or in difficult circumstances.

Talking Health

By signing up to Talking Health you can get involved and have your say about your local NHS services. Visit: or write to: to find out more.

Oxfordshire Rural Community Council

If you would like to support and help to grow community transport locally, get in touch with Oxfordshire Rural Community Council who will be able to find your local community transport group. You could volunteer to help, for example by making sure people who need it know about the service; helping with fundraising; becoming a volunteer driver and helping with bookings. Call: 01865 883488 or email: to find out more.

Volunteer Connect

Run by Banbury Citizens Advice Bureau, Volunteer Connect runs a Community Transport brokerage service for the Cherwell area by recruiting volunteer drivers who use their own cars to take people to essential appointments, when there is no reasonable alternative for them to travel.

For information about general volunteering call: 0845 815 0092 or for information about community transport call: 0845 815 0087. Email:

Volunteer Centres


Volunteer Connect provides a volunteering brokerage service to the community throughout Cherwell. The service matches volunteers to volunteering opportunities and works with public and private sector organisations to increase volunteering.
Tel: 0845 815 0092

Oxford City, South Oxon and the Vale of White Horse

The Volunteer Centre Oxfordshire offers a service to those wanting to volunteer and those looking for volunteers in these areas.
Tel: 01865 251946

West Oxfordshire

Volunteer Link Up offers community transport, befriending and practical help.
Tel: 01993 776277 Email:


Advocates can support someone to have their views listened to and heard, help them to voice their concerns and guide them through difficult or challenging times.

If you feel unsure or concerned when you are faced with making an important decision about your care choices, then you may want to consider using an advocacy service.

Getting Heard

Getting Heard provides a free, independent and confidential service to adults in Oxfordshire which helps people to represent their interests, secure their rights and access services of their choice. It also supports people who wish to challenge, make suggestions or complain about services.

Go to to find out more.

Call: 0300 343 5718 or email:

How solicitors can help

A solicitor can give you impartial advice about wills, making gifts, estate planning and Powers of Attorney. Some can also offer guidance on immediate and long-term care plans.

Solicitors for the Elderly is an independent, national organisation of lawyers, such as solicitors, barristers, and legal executives who provide specialist legal advice for older and vulnerable people, their families and carers. Find out more at:

If you need help finding a lawyer, you can call during office hours on: 0844 567 6173. Contact Citizens Advice by visiting:


Oxfordshire County Council’s Registration Service has produced a bereavement guide to help you to arrange a funeral. It provides guidance, support and reassurance and will help you to get all the information you’ll need to help you at this difficult time.

Visit: to find out more.

Cruse is the leading charity in the UK specialising in bereavement. It offers one to one counselling sessions, therapeutic groups and friendship groups to people trying to come to terms with the death of others.

call: 01865 245398
or email: for more information.