Self-funding advice

If you have capital or savings of more than £23,250 you will have to pay for any care services you require but you are still entitled to an assessment of your needs by social services. You may also benefit from Age Concern Bromley’s Support Planning and Brokerage Service, call 020 8215 1850. If you are arranging your own care home placement, it would be sensible to discuss (with the home) what will happen if/when your savings have run down to below £23,250, to gain a commitment from the home that they will be willing to accept the local authority funding rates. Otherwise, you may have to move home at a time that you are feeling more vulnerable.

If you have assets of less than £14,250, your contribution will be assessed only on your income and Bromley Council meets the shortfall subject to local funding limits. Between these two figures, a sliding scale operates whereby you must pay £1 per week for each £250 you have above the lower figure.

Assuming you will be moving into care, you may be entitled to some of the following financial assistance and support, subject to an assessment of need:

Twelve-week property disregard
If your former home is included in your financial assessment but your other capital is less than £23,250, and your income is not enough to meet your care home fees, Bromley Council will help with the cost during the first twelve weeks of permanent care provided they agree that care is needed.

Deferred Payment Agreements
After the twelve-week property disregard period, any financial help from Bromley Council will be charged against the value of your home and recovered once your house has been sold. However, the council may limit how much they will pay and it may affect your entitlement to pension credit if your property is not seen to be on the market and becomes treated as capital by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP).

Attendance Allowance
This is a non-means tested, non-taxable benefit from the DWP paid at the lower rate of £54.45 per week for those needing care by day or night, and at the higher rate of £81.30 per week for those needing care both during the day and night. Everyone can, and should, claim this benefit.

NHS Nursing Care Contribution
Whether you are a temporary or permanent resident, if you live in a care home that provides nursing care you may be entitled to a non-means-tested NHS Nursing Care Contribution (currently £110.89 per week for the standard rate and £152.61 per week for the higher rate) towards the cost of your nursing care. This is paid directly to the home.

NHS Continuing Care Funding
You can receive continuing healthcare services in any setting, including your own home or in a care home. The NHS will pay if you need healthcare from a community nurse or a therapist as well as personal care to help you at home like having a bath or dressing.

If you live in a care home with nursing (traditionally called a ‘nursing home’), you may qualify for the full cost of your care home fees, including board and accommodation, under the National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare. If you live in a residential home and need help from a registered nurse, this care will be free, covered by the NHS again.

If you apply for NHS Continuing Care and are unsuccessful, you can appeal the decision by contacting: Bromley Clinical Commissioning Group on 01689 866544 or by email to

Benefit update
Since April 2013, Disability Living Allowance for disabled people aged 16 and over was replaced by a new Personal Independence Payment. How much you’ll get depends on how your health condition or disability affects you. For further information, visit