Short-term support to get your independence back

Short-term support to get your independence back

Sometimes, because of an accident, illness or simply growing older, you may find you struggle with daily activities or feel unsafe in your home. A new service in Leeds called reablement can help you regain the ability and confidence to do some or all of the things you used to – whether it’s cooking for yourself, bathing without help or getting to the shops.

Reablement will help you get to the point where you can look after yourself better and remain independent in your own home for longer.

It’s not about doing things for you, it’s about giving you the skills and confidence to get back to doing everyday tasks and activities yourself, in a way that is realistic and safe.

Reablement means different things for different people – it all depends on your individual situation. For example, it might mean we work with you to practise daily activities like cooking and bathing or find new ways to do some things so that you feel safer and more confident. We will also look at what else might help (eg support to go out, personal alarms, home adaptations or other equipment such as bath rails), and involve your relatives and/ or carers.

Reablement is provided by specially trained staff, and usually takes the form of a short, intensive period of support. This is because it’s designed to get your independence back as quickly as is safe and practical for you. If you want to find out more, and you’re already a social care user, contact your care manager. If you haven’t used social care before, call Adult Social Care customer services on 0113 222 4401. You can do this yourself, or a friend, relative or health professional (like your GP) can do it on your behalf. If you’re eligible for social care support, a care manager will then contact you.

If you need short-term healthcare support

Intermediate care is a short-term service provided by the NHS that can help you get better as quickly as possible after an accident, illness or operation. The service is similar to Adult Social Care’s reablement service, but is for people who still have medical needs. The service works closely with your GP and other health and social care professionals to help you get well and become as independent as possible.

The service can be provided at home, or, if you’ve been discharged from hospital but are not well enough to go home yet, the service may be provided from an intermediate care bed in which case, you’ll be supported to move back home as soon as you’re able and ready.

If you have ongoing health needs

If you have extensive healthcare needs you may be eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare. This is a package of care which is arranged and funded solely by the NHS. It’s offered to people who aren’t in hospital but who have been assessed as having a primary health need.

Health visitors and district nurses can also visit you in your home and provide support and advice about any health problems. District nurses provide skilled nursing treatment, care and support to patients and their carers. Speak to your GP or local health centre to find out more.

Medical equipment and devices in your home

In some cases, medical equipment can be provided to support you in your own home. Examples include monitoring equipment for people with diabetes mellitus, or equipment for home oxygen therapy for people with some lung conditions.