Specialist care in North Yorkshire

Physical disability

You may want some voluntary work or support to find a paid job.

Our employment pathways web page may be able to support you. You can see this information on our website at: www.northyorks.gov.uk and search for supported employment.

Sensory services

Our sensory staff can help you maintain your independence and manage your hearing, and/or vision or dual sensory loss. The team’s specialist training and experience means they understand the impact of sensory loss and apply that as they work with you.

If you need equipment to help overcome issues as a result of your sensory loss, we will: provide help and advice about your options; advise where you can go for equipment that you may find useful; and we may provide some equipment directly to you.

Supporting the Deaf community
Some of our social care workers are skilled in using British Sign Language and have experience in working with Deaf people, and therefore understand the cultural differences involved in being a Deaf person in a hearing world.

They can undertake social care assessments and are there to provide or arrange a service to Deaf people following an assessment. This may include help with:

  • Mental health conditions.
  • Using local community services.
  • Managing practical daily living.
  • Making decisions and keeping safe.
  • Overcoming communication barriers.
  • Work and/or education.
  • Social isolation.

Supporting deafblind people
The term ‘deafblind’ means people who have a combined vision and hearing impairment.

We have a dedicated team that provides specialist support for deafblind people. The team is specially trained in deafblindness and offers assessments and services, which will often include equipment.

The services available depend on the individual but will usually be part of helping a person to:

  • Manage communication with other people, for example at the bank, in shops or on the telephone.
  • Use information, for example deal with letters and bank statements.
  • Get out and about in order to be more independent.

Supporting people with a visual impairment
If you have been diagnosed with a vision loss, we receive notification of this through a certificate of visual impairment from your health consultant. We keep a register of these certificates and offer an assessment to people who are on that register.

We also offer a rehabilitation service, which can help you to develop skills and confidence in maintaining or rediscovering some independence, both at home and in the community. Rehabilitation may involve activities such as learning to use a long cane; learning skills to work independently in the kitchen; or learning how to use special equipment for reading and doing tasks such as shopping and paying bills.

This service is usually provided to enable people to become as independent as possible before we would consider any need for long-term support in response to vision loss. In this way, people can remain in control and independent for as long as possible.

If you are considering moving, but do not need to move to a care home, extra care housing schemes can cater for people living with dementia, with Limestone View in Settle offering specialist support to people with dementia.